"The Indian of the Group", Jimmy Carl Black RIP

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Nov 02, 2008, 17:46
"The Indian of the Group", Jimmy Carl Black RIP
Nov 02, 2008, 15:27
Very sad news comes to us from Jerry Ford, long time friend of JCB, and caretaker of Inkanish Records:

It is my sad duty to report the news that JIMMY CARL BLACK has passed away. Jimmy left this earth around 11pm Germany time on October 31st. of cancer.

A benefit concert is being planned for December 7th in California, more information on that here (soon). And of course there’s the London benefit, which takes place next November 9.

All of us here at KUR wish to pass our condolences to Jimmy’s family. I think it’s safe to say that, through his music, Jimmy has made a lasting impression on each of our lives. He shall be sorely missed…

http://www.killuglyradio.com/

http://www.jimmycarlblack.com/dframebio.htm
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re:
Nov 02, 2008, 16:50
Very Very sad news indeed!

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim on numerous occasions and he was always the gentleman and ready and willing to tell stories of his life.

A truly fantastic bloke!

RIP big fella!
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re:
Nov 02, 2008, 16:59
Terrible, I met him a few times..and the last gig this June which was in Leeds, he took to the drums for a languid King Kong. Shockingly this was the only time I had seen him behind the kit.

I think he knew that the only thing he could do was carry on until he was physically unable, he told me he was off to Japan with Eugene Chadbourne. He was due to appear with the Muffin Men at Cropredy, but was unable physically, but in spirit was linked via the laser screen display board by 'phone.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

From Eugene Chadbourne
Nov 02, 2008, 17:10
There is no easy way to put this, my best friend and longtime partner Jimmy Carl Black is dying of cancer. He had a tumor removed from one of his lungs after we got back from our tour of Japan. That turned out to be the final Jack and Jim Tour.

Cancer was found in his lungs, then it was detected in both kidneys and brain. He has retired completely from the music business and is staying at home with his wife Moni. One can lend support to his medical bills and general quality of life in this situation by visiting THE JIMMY CARL BLACK GIFT SHOP at www.cafepress.com/jimmycarlblack.

I am here to tell you that Jimmy Carl is one of the greatest guys I have ever known. I will never forget my wonderful times with him. Being able to play guitar on top of his backbeat and teach him the things I have learned about self-publishing have to be among the highlights of my career.

There is no replacing this guy, and no need to. A spirit like his is in no danger of actually pulling a vanishing act. I imagine his voice will always be ringing in my ears: I like the way you talk. She's a keeper. What's the master plan? See you later, alligator, after awhile crocodile. Maybe you'll have to know the joke he often told to understand but since Jimmy came into my life I have to come to realize that whatever happens, it all boils down to guaranteed quality, as found in Shorty's
Valve2
Valve2
84 posts

Re:
Nov 02, 2008, 21:27
That is sad. I loved his contribution to Ella Guru's The First Album. Whatever happened to them?

R.I.P.J.C.B.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re:
Nov 03, 2008, 10:20
Gutted.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re:
Nov 03, 2008, 12:11
Very Sad News indeed

R.I.P.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re:
Nov 03, 2008, 12:18
no way.I had the pleasure of watching him perform with trobute band The Muffin Men a few years back, and he looked a healthy and happy man. my husband was really honoured to have shaken his hand, sad news.
Unsung Forum Index