AC/DC latest available only through Wal Mart

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: AC/DC latest available only through Wal Mart
Jun 09, 2008, 21:03
IanB wrote:

Especially as AC/DC have never made a truly shit record. Well at least not as shit as the Stones 80s and 90s output.

But then again, they've never made a record anywhere near as great the Stones 60s or 70s output. Or Start Me Up for that matter.

I can think of at least a hundred Stones numbers that are better than anything those wacky Aussie kids have released. They might be a decent good time rock'n'roll act, but comparing them to the Stones is a bit like lumping The Krankies in with The Beatles.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jun 09, 2008, 21:58
paradox wrote:
KISS are supposed to be giving away a best of (cue the jokes) 8>) in this weekends Mail to coincide with their Download gig!

Ugh (sorry paradox, you are a better fan than those dirtbags are worth)
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Jun 09, 2008, 22:30
Jun 09, 2008, 22:24
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

Especially as AC/DC have never made a truly shit record. Well at least not as shit as the Stones 80s and 90s output.

But then again, they've never made a record anywhere near as great the Stones 60s or 70s output. Or Start Me Up for that matter.

I can think of at least a hundred Stones numbers that are better than anything those wacky Aussie kids have released. They might be a decent good time rock'n'roll act, but comparing them to the Stones is a bit like lumping The Krankies in with The Beatles.

Anyone who is a Stones' fan who has not checked out the grey market Russian Cd Maximum versions really is in for a treat: UK, US versions, Mono, extra studio and live tracks of classic '64-72 Stones' ALBUMS in great sound and packaging.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jun 10, 2008, 09:21
i'll believe it when i see a statement from the band or their label itself

sounds like a right load of bollocks to me

mind you. it does seem to be getting increasingly popular with these older established artists

at least it aint starbucks!
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jun 10, 2008, 09:27
IanB wrote:
You'd think AC/DC would be looking at Prince for guidance in rebuilding their audience and building a vibe rather than the bleedin Eagles and James Taylor.

Prince hit the nail on the head by giving his record away, making the tickets reasonably priced and then watching the ticket money roll in. How many nights at the O2 could AC/DC do at £30 a pop with a free cd? Ten? More? Think of the buzz that would generate. They'd rule London for a fortnight.

i know what you're saying Ian. But AC/DC have never had a problem filling venues (one notable exception being the Milton Keynes Bowl last time which was strangely held on a Friday starting at 4pm!). they always pull a crowd and there are always tons of little kids there with their brothers/dads whatever. the kids love AC/DC!

as long as the new album is worth the wait (although it'll obviously never be a classic) they'll be giving a lot of these kids that've grown up listening to their dads albums a first chance to see em live

but i'd hope they'd never go down the multiple nights at the 02 route

they need to stick to the tried and trusted Arena circuit with the odd summer outdoor gig where they can
riotmaster
1563 posts

Jun 10, 2008, 09:33
keith a wrote:

seeing as they're my two favourite bands i have to pipe up here

Powerage is the greatest rock n roll album EVER made, and that includes Exile

and lets not mention blowing the Stones off stage 4 times in 2003 :-)

you could say 'yeah but that aint the real Stones', correct. but it weren't the real DC either. they still don't need a mid set breather though

but each to their own i guess!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Jun 10, 2008, 09:52
http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/live/pics/7285.jpg
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2008, 12:02
Jun 10, 2008, 12:01
riotmaster wrote:

i'll believe it when i see a statement from the band or their label itself

sounds like a right load of bollocks to me

mind you. it does seem to be getting increasingly popular with these older established artists

at least it aint starbucks!

Sadly it's all true though IMHO Starbucks are much much better in their treatment of music than Wal Mart.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2008, 12:14
Jun 10, 2008, 12:05
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

The Stones haven't recorded a note of worthwhile music in the studio since Some Girls. Not a note. The good bits on Tattoo You are outtakes.

That said almost everything they did from Aftermath to Black and Blue is up there with anyone else's best. That's a great track record but that doesn't change the fact that next to Macca they are probably the biggest nostalgia act out there.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 10, 2008, 12:26
Jun 10, 2008, 12:22
riotmaster wrote:
IanB wrote:
You'd think AC/DC would be looking at Prince for guidance in rebuilding their audience and building a vibe rather than the bleedin Eagles and James Taylor.

Prince hit the nail on the head by giving his record away, making the tickets reasonably priced and then watching the ticket money roll in. How many nights at the O2 could AC/DC do at £30 a pop with a free cd? Ten? More? Think of the buzz that would generate. They'd rule London for a fortnight.

i know what you're saying Ian. But AC/DC have never had a problem filling venues (one notable exception being the Milton Keynes Bowl last time which was strangely held on a Friday starting at 4pm!). they always pull a crowd and there are always tons of little kids there with their brothers/dads whatever. the kids love AC/DC!

as long as the new album is worth the wait (although it'll obviously never be a classic) they'll be giving a lot of these kids that've grown up listening to their dads albums a first chance to see em live

but i'd hope they'd never go down the multiple nights at the 02 route

they need to stick to the tried and trusted Arena circuit with the odd summer outdoor gig where they can

Tried and trusted is fine and they do really well but there is a huge untapped audience for them as well. They could be crowned as the "people's band". A role currently and dubiously occupied by the likes of RHCP and Muse. No one else does what ACDC do as well as they do it and still have any kind of credibility. Aerosmith, The Stones etc have blotted their copybooks with too many bad moves and Floyd & Zep are absent from the field. Purple, the Pistols and Sabbath are too much a parody of themselves. Yes and Genesis too irrelevant. Guns and Roses and The Clash are not playing any time soon. Radiohead are too up themselves to rock and REM have lost the plot.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index