42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited May 16, 2008, 19:50
Viva Miles!
May 16, 2008, 19:49
Bitches Brew, as originally released, is a masterpiece and these "sessions boxes" are just a marketing hype.

The material that wound up on Big Fun was NOT recorded at the same sessions as BB -- it's just the record company turning double albums into 4 CD box sets to increase their profit margin.

When are they going to do the Filles de Kilimanjaro Sessions box set? Oops, they already included that album on the In A Silent Way Sessions box. And so on.

Big Fun is also great of course -- but not as good as On The Corner, Jack Johnson or Get Up With It. Pretty much every Miles album from 1968-1974 is indispensible.

(And I promise that I listen to these records all the time, plus live bootlegs from the era, and have never tried to impress anybody coming over to my house by directing them to my record shelf where upon rest about 60 Miles albums stretching all the way back to the 1940's.)

You've got to wonder what sort of audience that "critic" was writing to with comments like that . . . folks much like himself no doubt!!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index