Bill Laswell on Miles Davis
Apr 06, 2008, 15:33
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may98/articles/billlaswell.html

Laswell feels he has been digesting, making sense of Miles '69-'75 music
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: Bill Laswell on Miles Davis
Apr 06, 2008, 18:14
There's one heck of a lot of reading to do there. And I don't realy like reading big pieces on a monitor, I'm afraid.

I've got Panthalassa and will say it's a darn good album.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 06, 2008, 19:09
You should be able to print it out.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Apr 06, 2008, 21:31
Oh fuck, really ? How on earth did Bill Laswell get that job, seriously. I never cease to be dumbfounded by the amount of people who think Bill Laswell is actually a good producer. Will not be buying, listening to, etc. I may weep a bit later at the thought of the horror of it all though. Laswell ? FFS.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Apr 07, 2008, 08:42
shit, that's HARSH! i feel 100% in accord w/ it tho ... a few years ago i used to think recs shd've been stickered "WARNING: contains bill laswell!" on them ... maybe my orbit's changed, but he seems less ubiquitious right now, which can only be a good thing
love miles here, esp "on the corner" + "dark magus", + even saw the laswell remix in local charity shop for peanuts last week ... thought obout it, but nah, gotta stick to yr principles!
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Apr 07, 2008, 09:11
Shame. IMO you missed a bargain.

Still, each to their own.

And, no matter how aggressively you air your opinions, they'll still only be your opinions.

BTW I've just downloaded a remixes album of Nina Simone, which is sort of similar in its approach. That'd probably get a similar response. However, I'll turn down the volume on my computer before reading any reactions to this, though.

;-)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 07, 2008, 09:32
I thought the Laswell mix of Panthalassa was OK, if a bit bland, but his Bob Marley remix project (Dreams of Freedom) makes Panthalassa seem adventurous! It really is just too bland for me.

TBH, I don't know what to make of Laswell. I love some of the things he's been involved with, but others just seem a bit lazy to me.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Apr 07, 2008, 09:59
Apr 07, 2008, 09:59
Ah, I've not heard any of these other remix jobs (I refuse to use a word like 'project'). But I was instantly captivated by Panthalassa's lilting grooves whilst perusing the racks in a record shop in Tenby, last summer.

Tracks from it are regularly played at Club Calamity.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 07, 2008, 10:05
I do listen to it once in a while, and it is an interesting take on the original material (!), but if I pay too much attention to it I do find it a bit sickly sweet and a bit too smooth. I dunno, I blow hot and cold on it I guess (IYSWIM).
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Apr 07, 2008, 10:19
There's also a collaboration by the Japanese trumpeter Toshinori Kondo & DJ Krush that I often find myself playing in the same sitting, called 'Ki Oku'. And they do a Bob Marley cover.

What did those initials at the end of your last post mean? I'm still a bit green on 'netiquette', even after all these years.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index