Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soul Asylum
Apr 08, 2008, 11:19
Dog 3000 wrote:

A better comparison would probably be Soul Asylum!!

were they ever any good? Seems to be a lot of them turning up at Dime.
I saw them late 80s found them pretty drab, workmanlike.
I think my friend who went onto diss the Gun Club as being absolutely outmoded by the White Stripes was raving about them.
Stevo
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soul Asylum
Apr 08, 2008, 17:50
Eh. Bob Mould produced some of their earliest records (circa 1985-86), but there was always something "anthemic and overemotive" about the singer that made me think of Jon Bon Jovi. Not surprising they turned out to be the most commercially successful of the "Minneapolis sound" bands.

But I would recommend Husker Du, Replacements and The Cows instead!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Replacements Reissues April 22
Apr 24, 2008, 16:12
It appears some of these albums have been doubled with extra tracks that show a bigger picture of the bands' reach

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/50071-sorry-ma-
forgot-to-take-out-the-trash-stink-hootenanny-let-it-be

{regarding Husker Du reissues have been stalled due to disagreements amongst all three members}
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Apr 24, 2008, 17:18
zphage wrote:
{regarding Husker Du reissues have been stalled due to disagreements amongst all three members}

Oh that's a surprise! I hope they don't go out of print for years in the process like the Neu! albums did.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Apr 25, 2008, 19:30
I'm sure Bob doesn't want to revisit his past, because he's still a vital artist with a solo career blah blah blah . . . .

Greg Norton runs a restaurant in a small town and is playing in a local band again:

www.myspace.com/gregnorton

Grant Hart still lives in St. Paul and seems to do more "art & poetry" than music these days.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index