Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2008, 17:34
Replacements Reissues April 22
Feb 12, 2008, 17:32
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003709827

Although the first three albums were reissued/remastered once before Rhino is doing it again with bonus tracks April 22, 2008

The remaining 4 to follow during summer 2008.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Replacements Reissues April 22
Feb 12, 2008, 18:18
The very band that's to blame for the Goo Goo Dolls and Third Eye Blind. Pah!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Feb 12, 2008, 20:45
Feb 12, 2008, 20:44
Maybe, but they were good in their own right - in the same way that just because Royal Trux were to blame for the White Stripes, it doesn't mean I don't like them.

Having said that, I doubt I'll be bothering with those re-issues. They just look like a cynical ploy to encourage people to re-buy albums that they already have. I'm quite happy with my original Twin-Tone / WEA editions thank you very much
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Feb 12, 2008, 21:29
day after my birthday, I SAID, DAY AFTER MY BIRTHDAY
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 21:28
Popel Vooje wrote:
Having said that, I doubt I'll be bothering with those re-issues. They just look like a cynical ploy to encourage people to re-buy albums that they already have. I'm quite happy with my original Twin-Tone / WEA editions thank you very much

That goes for ALL reissues as far as I'm concerned! It's obviously a cynical ploy to keep their profit margins up as sales continue to decline.

Especially these days when they're on the fourth-time-remastered and everytime-it-gets-louder-with-less-dynamics versions of Zep etc. records.

As for bonus tracks: if an album has been reissued already without them, I have to assume there is a good reason the "bonus" material went unreleased until now!! Maybe "penalty tracks" is a more appropriate term.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 21:39
I don't get that at all -- you seem to confuse the 90's major label singer-songwriter version for the real thing!

The original Replacements were the drunkest punks there ever were. They would do ridiculous crap like play "I Got You Babe" out-of-tune for 20 minutes just to piss off the audience -- and regularly attempted to play songs they obviously didn't know, with the guitar and bass playing in different keys and Westerberg making up scatological lyrics.

If the crowd wanted sensitive songs, they'd play Motorhead. If the crowd wanted to mosh, they'd play Hank Williams. If the press was there, they'd get extra stinking drunk and belligerant (1984 CBGB's bootleg is a classic example; in fact they're one of the few bands whose concert tapes are actually worth collecting, because they hardly ever had a set list and were always fucked up -- so every show was truly different.)

In short, nothing like those bands you mentioned!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 21:45
Yeah, but they started to suck after they cleaned up their act. The Goo Goo Dolls were supposedly the same way, but I saw them when they were 'punk', and they were still on the pop side of the genre...
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 21:54
Saw the "Mats thru all their phases, rare was the tight show, eventually they would get drunker and drunker, try to do "Highway Star" with a revolving cast pulled from the audience, the shows would dissipate , instead of a true end. Eventually only one would be left onstage...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 22:39
Maybe it's a local thing! I have no knowledge of the Goo Goos ever being anything other than whatever they are now. And stopped caring about the Replacements in about 1988.

A better comparison would probably be Soul Asylum!!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 07, 2008, 23:32
Listings and info for the first four are up:

http://www.rhino.com/artists/controller.lasso?artist=The%20replacements
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index