Lee Scratch Perry and Black Ark

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Lee Scratch Perry and Black Ark
Jan 30, 2008, 15:56
The Skatalites were the grandaddies of the whole ska/reggae/dub family, yes? The originators of the sound that made a stylistic break from the older Caribbean genres?
I think I used to have a tape of theirs... and remember enjoying it.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jan 30, 2008, 16:03
We had The Skatalites on at The Buttermarket in Shrewsbury a few years ago. A fine old evening was had by all.

I haven't heard that Radio Shropshire show. It is a bit early for me. But I must investigate further.

And yes, the Protools thing is killing the 'happy accident' and chance elements that can occur during a recording session.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 30, 2008, 17:24
Kid Calamity wrote:
And yes, the Protools thing is killing the 'happy accident' and chance elements that can occur during a recording session.

A significant element in my film work was allowing chance to play a part. Happy accidents are important! There definitely is such a thing as being TOO much in control.

I recall hearing an interview once with a veteran sound engineer who's method was to find just the right acoustic space, put the band strategically around a single microphone hooked into a wide-tape analog recorder, and just let things happen. I love the elegance of it... allowing the band to simply play, and grab that live dynamic without a lot of messing around.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 31, 2008, 02:18
From 1969 thru 1979 prorated Jamaica was averaging over 1200 singles a year, 1975 was a peak of almost 2000.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index