Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Jan 16, 2008, 15:07
You Are Not Allowed To Play Zappa
Jan 16, 2008, 15:06
http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2008/01/11/columnists/cain/1029236.txt

Zappa estate is seeking to stop bands from covering his music. It seems only the official Zappa family band is authorised.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: You Are Not Allowed To Play Zappa
Jan 16, 2008, 15:56
That's crazy!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jan 16, 2008, 17:13
Lawrence wrote:
That's crazy!

Indeed and, knowing more than a bit about copyright law, utterly bogus and in many countires unenforcable. Even in America. Canada is the one place I can think of where they might just get away with it. And even then I have my doubts.

The Z Plays Z band were very good two years ago at Royal Albert Hall but a pale shadow on their last run round Europe. It all seemed a bit tired. Dweez really should think more about composing some new work in a voice of his own than playing music biz enforcer for his old man.
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Jan 16, 2008, 20:09
Well Zappa was a cranky 'ol coot and it seems his family, or at least those responsible for the estate, are chips off the ol' perv's block. I don't suppose we are likely to see the original, and by all accounts best, tapes of Beefheart's Shiny Beast (Bat Cahin Puller), reputedly languishing in Zappa's vaults somewhere, either.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jan 16, 2008, 22:39
Crazy indeed!!!!

Went to the ZPZ gigs at manchester and the albert hall and it was great but equally as good have been the many gigs i have seen performed by liverpools finest The Muffin Men with the great Jimmy Carl Black in tow.

What now?

Deprived of hearing the great mans music played by more than worthy musicians?

This stinks a big one!

I also see that The Grandmothers Of Invention have a tour planned for march who include Napoleon Murphy Brock,Don Preston and Roy Estrada in their ranks and who ALL made major contributions to Zappas music!

Think on please whoever is responsible!!!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 02:37
This is nothing new, Gail has spent a lot of time pursuing this (obviously crazy) scheme. She is basically trying to rewrite the copyright law, and making a lot of Zappa fans angry in the process. No one thinks that tribute bands or websites are taking any money away from the ZFT, and if they think they are getting new fans from charging $60 a ticket for their official show, well they are pretty stupid. If I was a teenager, I would probably never know about Zappa if access was limited to buying the albums and seeing ZPZ live.

Though I can't agree with the comment about the last ZPZ tour not being great, it was one of the best things I'd ever seen. The last time Dweezil came to town, he was playing at a guitar shop and promoting a new line of amplifiers. Do you really think he enjoys that more than playing FZ's music? He has put everything he has into this thing and isn't going to go back to his own stuff just yet.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 17, 2008, 09:55
Jan 17, 2008, 09:53
The second tour that came to Europe felt like a merch operation with music attached as an add-on. The previous tour felt like an event. Maybe by the time they got to Shepherds Bush they were phoning it in as I was as disappointed as I was elated by the Albert Hall set. The bootlegs from 2007 versus 2006 (especially London and Milan) pretty much support my recollection that the earlier line up had more fire in their belly.
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 11:23
How silly.

Mickey Jones from the Man Band played with the Muffin Men on occasion doing the wah-wah guitar on Willie the Pimp. And I'm sure I saw a band called WakaJawaka doing the more orchestrated sort of stuff a while back.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 13:26
The European festival they mention is the Zappanale which takes place every year at Bad Doberan in Germany - this town has a bust of Zappa in one of its streets!

I saw ZPZ at the Albert Hall, and 4 years ago, I played the Zappanale festival with ATV - this was the year when Paul Green's School of Rock played.

Pretty much all the tribute bands were better than ZPZ - and The Muffin Men had the great Jimmy Carl Black with them - but there was talk then of Gail not being happy with the festival.

The top photo on this link is us with Jimmy in the whisky tent - ah, memories.....

l-r Jimmy Carl Black, Mark Perry, me, Steve Carter (bass), Dave Morgan (our drummer back then)

http://www.militantesthetix.co.uk/zappo/zapp14.htm
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jan 17, 2008, 14:12
How ridiculous!

It would be a shame not to hear Nick Harper sing 'Titties and beer' any more. Though knowing Nick he'd take the chance and play it anyway.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index