The Magnetic Fields - Distortion

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
Jan 12, 2008, 00:18
Distortion has got pretty poor reviews, which I take as a great sign. Fuck the folk who just want to frap off over 69 Love Songs (though the 33 1/3 book on that is great). I had the misfortune of seeing the Daily Mail earlier and Adrian Thrills cited Metal Machine Music, which is more interesting than everyone else who has mentioned the Mary Chain (though helped by SM who stated them as influence).

John Harris' review last week in the Guardian was quite weak, I mean, he liked a lot of Britpop and that was just recycled Kinks-XTC, a tribute - why is it bad when MF do it? & he cites the mary chain having reformed, so no need for anyone to sound like them...forgetting that most of the mary chain's output post-Psychocandy was pretty dodgy...& that others were also exploring similar territory, e.g. Pussy Galore, Sonic Youth, Mazzy Star, Spacemen 3...

SM and those Magnetic Fields are right to do this, I just hope it's fairly unlistenable. We need more From Here to Infinitys' and more Twin Infinitives - though I wonder if Nonesuch will drop them now? I've not seen a review above four stars, which on the strength of most music journalism, is a good sign!!!

Unsung Forum Index