Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2008, 14:42
The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
Jan 10, 2008, 14:41
Can I just say: 'KIN YESSSSS! MAN!!! 2008 just got a whole lot more interesting. This is gonna take some beating.

AND, we get the Coen brothers film next week!!
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Re: The Magnetic Fields - Distortion
Jan 10, 2008, 16:25
Is it the Magnetic Fields guy that did the Gothic Archies (Lemony Snicket thang)? I have that and rather like it...
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 10, 2008, 17:31
It is indeed. If you liked that, it's well worth checking out his other stuff
(also as The 6ths, Future Bible Heroes and just plain Stephen Merritt).

The new album is a corker. Twisted Beach Boys/Spector wallofsound type thing going on.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 11, 2008, 10:05
It's good then? Read a review that made me think 'yes!' and another that made it out to be a tribute to the JAMC, which I could struggle on without. I'm interested now though.

Heard that Bruce Springsteen song?

x
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 11, 2008, 10:54
Someone's never heard the Mary Chain methinks. If you think I'm Sorry But I Love You or Grand Canyon from 69 Love songs you'll get the gist. Apparently Merritt shoved a couple of mics into the piano then through a distortion (hence the title). Can't wait until the weekend and I can blast if full volume.

mojojojo wrote:
Heard that Bruce Springsteen song?

What, Born To Run?
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jan 11, 2008, 11:23
I'm sold. Since I read this thread this morning I've had When My Boy Walks Down the Street going through my head. And I ain't complaining.

Bruce's song is called Girls in Their Summer Dresses or something like that. Thought it was Magnetic Fields when I first heard it.

x
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited Jan 11, 2008, 11:37
Jan 11, 2008, 11:35
mojojojo wrote:
When My Boy Walks Down the Street

Another that sounds like the new album.

Too drunk To Dream is my favourite at the moment. "I gotta drink wine, not to pine for you and god knows that aint cheap"

Will check out the Brucie.

Edit: FFS! It does at the start. But goes on to be an Icicle Works cover.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Jan 11, 2008, 15:19
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Will check out the Brucie.

The Boss.

http://www.vintage-toybox.co.uk/imincharge.jpg
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Jan 12, 2008, 00:18
Distortion has got pretty poor reviews, which I take as a great sign. Fuck the folk who just want to frap off over 69 Love Songs (though the 33 1/3 book on that is great). I had the misfortune of seeing the Daily Mail earlier and Adrian Thrills cited Metal Machine Music, which is more interesting than everyone else who has mentioned the Mary Chain (though helped by SM who stated them as influence).

John Harris' review last week in the Guardian was quite weak, I mean, he liked a lot of Britpop and that was just recycled Kinks-XTC, a tribute - why is it bad when MF do it? & he cites the mary chain having reformed, so no need for anyone to sound like them...forgetting that most of the mary chain's output post-Psychocandy was pretty dodgy...& that others were also exploring similar territory, e.g. Pussy Galore, Sonic Youth, Mazzy Star, Spacemen 3...

SM and those Magnetic Fields are right to do this, I just hope it's fairly unlistenable. We need more From Here to Infinitys' and more Twin Infinitives - though I wonder if Nonesuch will drop them now? I've not seen a review above four stars, which on the strength of most music journalism, is a good sign!!!
keith a
9573 posts

Jan 12, 2008, 12:20
Jasonaparkes wrote:
..forgetting that most of the mary chain's output post-Psychocandy was pretty dodgy...

Nah. That's one of those rock myths that people have started to believe.

The JAMC were faced with an impossible position - how to release a follow-up to a debut that probably received more fuss / hype than anything since Bollocks and Marquee Moon.

They decided to follow it up with a more sedate affair. It's no Psychocandy, but it's not dodgy. Neither is the excellent JAMC-do-T.Rex Automatic. And so on.

And gotta give a mention to Sidewalking and Reverence. Two absolute classic 45's IMO.

As for Distortion, I've not heard it, but maybe...just maybe...the reason why it's getting compared to the JAMC is because it sounds (even slightly?) like them?
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index