Topic View: Flat | Threaded
booga
booga
129 posts

Re: BLACK FUCKING METAL
Oct 30, 2008, 20:51
ToneStone wrote:
Possessed - Beyond the Gates

Seven Churches surely? Look at the cover (front and back). Plus, wasn't Beyond The Gates weak ass by comparisson?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Oct 31, 2008, 17:59
I have a long standing fascination with some of the stupider Rheinland metal (Sodom's early stuff is super-primitive "black metal"; I don't suppose Kreator and Tankard fit exactly, but I like that kinda stuff!)

I have a rehearsal tape of the notorious Mayhem when "Dead" was their singer (the guy who got killed & brains eaten by another band member!) It's suprisingly effective -- Dead was one hell of a scary singer!

And Dethklok of course (the Monkees of Black Metal.)
Zebulon
Zebulon
115 posts

Oct 31, 2008, 22:34
Seller from Norway? No way!

They are so evil it should've sold 'for now' at $666.66 ! Whacky !

Off to listen to some Rai boxsets!
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Nov 03, 2008, 01:36
Possessed's Seven Churches is great, haven't heard the one you mention.
Early Celtic Frost [Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion, plus EP's from the same period] is classic, but a lot of people wouldn't agree that they're black metal. Personally I put them on the cusp of black metal and death metal.
Also Morbid Angel are one of the best metal bands ever, period, in my opinion, but they are squarely death metal. I know a lot of these sub-categorizations suck and are confusing - and a lot of metalheads don't even agree - but most fans would say that it takes more than being a bit 'satanic' thematically to be a black metal band. It's also in the sound and style. That's why Deicide are accepted as a death metal band and not a black metal band, and why Slayer are a borderline thrash/death metal band and not a black metal band.
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Nov 03, 2008, 10:10
Sodom were hilarious ... their album covers equally so ..
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Jan 20, 2010, 12:54
Checking out Wolves In The Throne Room ,
some good stuff , many epic length tracks.

http://www.myspace.com/wolvesinthethroneroom
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Edited May 01, 2011, 09:45
May 01, 2011, 09:45
I'm in Norway. They could've rebelled against the price of beer. Sheesh! (Havent even spotted the usual bunch of skemo-kids hanging about, nevermind full-blown metal types.)
traumwelt
traumwelt
22 posts

Edited Feb 04, 2013, 11:57
Feb 04, 2013, 09:37
I think there was a thread for the review of Xasthur's last album, but other than that, I've noticed this stuff is hardly ever discussed here. Cope himself said that "only things that crawl listen to real heavy metal", but I disagree. Black metal actually has some artistic merit, and black metal musicians have admitted to listening to a variety of non-metal genres, even techno, which is a gutsy move.

One of the things I love that makes black metal unique is the influence it takes from ambient music. Just listen to some of Burzum's stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBll5LyMnAw
bauheed
bauheed
895 posts

Feb 04, 2013, 10:41
Wolves in the Throne Room are great. I finally got round to checking them out last year, after seeing their albums around for ages and thinking that they looked worth investigating. The early stuff is worth seeking out - Diadem of Stars,etc. The whole "nature metal" ideology is interesting.
traumwelt
traumwelt
22 posts

Feb 04, 2013, 11:55
1001realapes wrote:
Anyone have all time
favourite albums ?
I've only heard a few
Emperor
Mayhem
Burzum
Mayhem's De Mysteriis
is quite good !

Oh, I have tons! I even started a black metal group on last.fm.

Gorgoroth's self titled
Abruptum's Evil Genius
Rotting Christ's - Theogenia
Burzum's - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Mayhem's Ordo Ad Chao
and so many more that escape me right now.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index