5 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Yo! handofdave!
Sep 12, 2006, 21:22
Sounder wrote:
Got the cd's through! Have been listening to them in the car - cool stuff -I feel I must now buy a banjo and get plucking!

Likewise, your CDs arrived and I've given them a few spins.. and they are growing on me with every listen! I'll say more on a separate thread about that.

Sounder wrote:
I was quite amazed at how some of them almost sound raga-like!

You got it! That's what I was going for. I think there is a real spiritual connection, actually, between Ragas and the 'high lonesome' sounds of the Appalachian mountains. That's what 'Neomythic' is about- an inner landscape of the soul being expressed thru improvisations, carried on that metallic string drone you get with the Sitar or the Banjo.

The weird vocal/not vocal stuff on that one is about using my voice- but not using words- where it sounds like words it's totally made-up phonetic nonsense. I love listening to music in tongues I don't understand, actually, because then you get the feeling without that concreteness of language... and you listen to the SOUND of the language. And with the vocal-changing so that it sounds like I'm a woman or a boy it divorces the 'me' out of it even further, so that it REALLY gets to a point where you don't know the who or what of it.... it's like a person who never existed singing in a language that never existed.

Thanks for the trade and thanks for the encouragement!

Unsung Forum Index