Unsung Forum »
Yo! handofdave!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sounder
Sounder
303 posts

Yo! handofdave!
Sep 12, 2006, 18:10
Got the cd's through! Have been listening to them in the car - cool stuff -I feel I must now buy a banjo and get plucking!

I was quite amazed at how some of them almost sound raga-like!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Yo! handofdave!
Sep 12, 2006, 21:22
Sounder wrote:
Got the cd's through! Have been listening to them in the car - cool stuff -I feel I must now buy a banjo and get plucking!

Likewise, your CDs arrived and I've given them a few spins.. and they are growing on me with every listen! I'll say more on a separate thread about that.

Sounder wrote:
I was quite amazed at how some of them almost sound raga-like!

You got it! That's what I was going for. I think there is a real spiritual connection, actually, between Ragas and the 'high lonesome' sounds of the Appalachian mountains. That's what 'Neomythic' is about- an inner landscape of the soul being expressed thru improvisations, carried on that metallic string drone you get with the Sitar or the Banjo.

The weird vocal/not vocal stuff on that one is about using my voice- but not using words- where it sounds like words it's totally made-up phonetic nonsense. I love listening to music in tongues I don't understand, actually, because then you get the feeling without that concreteness of language... and you listen to the SOUND of the language. And with the vocal-changing so that it sounds like I'm a woman or a boy it divorces the 'me' out of it even further, so that it REALLY gets to a point where you don't know the who or what of it.... it's like a person who never existed singing in a language that never existed.

Thanks for the trade and thanks for the encouragement!
Sounder
Sounder
303 posts

Sep 13, 2006, 12:28
Ha! There was one song where I thought you did have a woman in doing a vocal thang!!!

I suppose if there are no words as such the listener is at will to put their own imagination as to the feel of the song (which should be done more foten!)
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Sep 13, 2006, 12:53
Sounder wrote:
Ha! There was one song where I thought you did have a woman in doing a vocal thang!!!

I played that one for my 16 year old daughter and then told her it was me... the look on her face was priceless!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Sep 13, 2006, 13:03
Sounder wrote:
I suppose if there are no words as such the listener is at will to put their own imagination as to the feel of the song (which should be done more foten!)

I just did a Google search for 'invented lyrics' and came up with a LOT of results... (many for an Icelandic group called Sigur Ros that has an invented language called 'Hopelandic).
I'm trying to remember the name of that popular brother-sister alt-pop band from the 90's where she sings a non-language on all their records.. very beautiful stuff.
Unsung Forum Index