Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
"The Great Universal Protection Racket" by High Tide is the heaviest bonus track I've heard all year...

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1242 posts

"The Great Universal Protection Racket" by High Tide is the heaviest bonus track I've heard all year...
Jul 27, 2006, 06:38
...and it makes Leaf Hound sound like Vashti Bunyan. Hahahahahaha

Like "Map" by Flower Travellin' Band, "Fracture" by King Crimson and Mahavishnu Orchestra if they were fronted by Glen Buxton all at once AND: only a couple brief passages of jauntiness which ain't too shabby for 1969.

It was left off the "Sea Shanties" album because it was too long, but is now available for the first time on the new re-mastered CD on Eclectic

"The Great Universal Protection Racket"...it's heavy.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re:
Jul 27, 2006, 07:41
"...and it makes Leaf Hound sound like Vashti Bunyan"

THATS why i love ya man, hahahahahaah, that'll be making me laugh all day.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Re: mmmmmm
Jul 27, 2006, 17:38
looking forward to that nuggett
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re:
Jul 27, 2006, 20:13
I've been wondering if I needed either of the 2 new remasters since I still have the old 2fer of the lps/cd. I guess that might be the answer then.

Have you heard the jamming lp that Akarma have out on cd? I can't recall the title offhand but have wondered if its worthwhile. & I do really like the 2 official pps.
Stevo
NpGridnolog In Spite of Harry's Toenail title
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re:
Jul 28, 2006, 02:01
Damn, I'm not buying the High Tide albums again! I will keep an eye and ear open for the opportunity to hear and/or make a copy of this bonus track, though, as I love High Tide to shabby pieces :-)
Re: jam discs, you might be thinking of Precious Cargo? It's not as good as the albums, not as inspired or fiery, but if you are a fan, it's still worth checking out. The inside cover shot on the CD shows them all sitting/lying around looking like they're all passed out on downers, and from what I've heard that's pretty close to what they were indeed doing around the time this was recorded. Open Season, which is on CD on Black Widow, features unreleased cuts from 1970-2000 (only a few of the track are from beyond the 70's) and does feature some really wickedly good stuff. It's slightly patchy but for a full-length CD, I'm not complaining :-)
The Seth Man
1242 posts

"Precious Cargo" is the 'Akarma jamming lp' and although it's dull and meandering compared to "Sea Shanties"...
Jul 28, 2006, 08:01
...if you like the second album, chances are you'll like it as much (but whether or not you *need* it, weelllll...the decision is yours)

The title track from the nineties album "The Flood" is surprisingly excellent and you can hear it on "Radio Rome Wasn't Burned In A Day" Vol 3. For free:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/wsym/

It's bound to show up local, as it's a British release affiliated with EMI so happy hunting, Stevo (those guys and gals at Fopp's must know you by name at this point..!)

np: "The Great Universal Protection Racket"

Makes Bethlehem sound like Jerusalem, Hahahahahahaha
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Re: bonus tracks
Jul 28, 2006, 12:26
there are about 5 bonus tracks on sea shanties and id expect similar on high tide so get out there and buy them again!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re:
Jul 28, 2006, 13:49
It's bound to show up local, as it's a British release affiliated with EMI so happy hunting, Stevo (those guys and gals at Fopp's must know you by name at this point..!)
>
Nope, I live in Galway & only get to the Cambridge Circus FOPP at Xmas time.
Glad to get there then & Sister Ray though.
Oh & must pop into sales at Virgin & HMV at those tiimes too.
Found out on last visit to Piccadilly Circus Virgin that their in house listening system will play 30 second snippets of any cd from the store it can read the barcode of. Hadn't come accross that before but that current trend of 'Wyatting' depends on the same technology don't it?

Gotta hit LuSH on every LOndon trip too.
Stevo
Np Comus disc1 tRack 2. (sorry don't have sleeve)
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2006, 18:40
Re: Track Listings Sea Shanties and High Tide
Jul 28, 2006, 17:08
track listing - sea shanties

futilist's lament 5:17
death warmed up 9:08
pushed, but not forgotten 4:43
walking down their outlook 4:58
missing out 9:38
nowhere 5:54

bonus
the great universal protection racket 11:24
recorded at olympia studios 18/06/69
dilemma 5:14
recorded at apple studios march 69
death warmed up (demo) 7:35
pushed, but not forgotten (demo) 4:01
time gauges 6:24
recorded at olympia studios 08/07/69

Track Listing: High Tide

Blankman Cries Again 8:28
The Joke 9:27
Saneonymous 14:26

“High Tide” includes alternate versions of “The Joke” 7:44, “Blankman Cries Again” 8:25 plus a different recording of “The Great Universal Protection Racket” 15:45 and the previously unreleased “Ice Age” 3:25. Both expanded remastered CDs have playing times in excess of 70 minutes and include expansive booklets, including notes by Tony Hill, and slip cases.

Previously unreleased bonus tracks:

The Great Universal Protection Racket (Recorded at Morgan studios on 10th April 1970), The Joke (Recorded at Olympic studios, Barnes on 6th May 1970), Blankman Cries Again (Recorded at Olympic studios, Barnes on 6th , Ice Age
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re:
Jul 31, 2006, 04:24
Eh? Didn't get your joke there with Bethlehem and Jerusalem... is there a band called Bethlehem you're referring to, or have I just totally missed the boat on this one? ;-)
I agree 'Precious Cargo' is meandering and dull compared to Sea Shanties... but if you're manically into High Tide, you'd still want to hear it if you haven't. It's not actually crap or anything, at least I don't think so. But, it didn't set me on fire when I bought it. But, I'm glad I have it...
Unsung Forum Index