Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

"Up on the Roof....."
May 29, 2006, 14:04
So sang The Drifters....

Now there was The Beatles that did it- on the roof- in 1969 and then in 1977, Sham 69 also did it ending with Jimmy Pursey being arrested.

But it appears that Jefferson Airplane were the first in 1968, on a rooftop in New York.

This is a great clip, with some bemused onlookers, but most people seem to enjoy it.

If you half-close your eyes, you can almost see the future image of Mr. Cope projecting out of bass guitarist Jack Casady! 8-D

...and the young Grace Slick looks tremendous.....

....shame they lost the plot a couple of years after....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GG7KU7mb0&search=psychedelia
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re:
May 29, 2006, 15:01
Nice.

I remember the Bunnymen playing on the roof of the old HMV in Oxford Street (the site that is now Foot Locker or Nike Town or whatever) as a stunt around the time of Lips Like Sugar. Stopped the traffic alright but you couldn't hear a bleeding thing on the ground. This was around the time when E&TB, Simple Minds and U2 were neck and neck in the "First Band To The Enormodome Gets A Nobel Prize" stakes.
merlin2
118 posts

Re:
May 29, 2006, 17:25
Nice one
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Re:
May 30, 2006, 00:28
Whenever I try to watch these YouTube videos they stopstartstopstartstopstart and it drives me nutty! I have a new computer, what's the matter here? I cannae make it play N O R M A L L Y.
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Re:
May 30, 2006, 00:29
oooh. I completely forgot about Iam McCullogh's lips in that video.
But then you weren't talking about that, were ye!

I'll get my coat...
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re:
May 30, 2006, 00:35
RP

It's best to let the clip start playing and then click 'pause', then you see the 'grey' bar going across, when it's a bit in front, then press play again

..still trying to find my way around that chart you sent.....

...my head hurts now 8-I
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Re:
May 30, 2006, 00:39
Yeah that chart is fab. You are mentioned too Jim. ;) x

Thanks for the stopstart solution, that gets on my nerves as well.
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Re:
May 30, 2006, 02:31
I think I need a chart for the YouTube usage...

harhar
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re:
May 30, 2006, 09:31
Dont forget Sonic Youth. They did it once. A group in my town called Gaybot will be doing a rooftop show this weekend...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: rooftop larks
May 30, 2006, 10:32
I remember seeing James do the rooftop thing looking over Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester City centre in the early '90's round about the time of the whole 'Madchester' thing. And amazingly the sun came out.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index