Arthur Russell's World of Echo!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Arthur Russell's World of Echo!
Sep 27, 2005, 13:02
Hello there pop pickers.

Well I picked up this CD yesterday and I have to say it's quite, quite strange and wonderful. Is it just me, or does his voice occasionally sound uncannily like John Martyn on One World?

Wax the Van, motherfuckers!
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: Arthur Russell's World of Echo!
Sep 27, 2005, 14:59
an absolute stone classic seb. needs to be listened to in one sitting where the accumulated effect really is moving. there are a couple of other arthur russell compilations out - one on rough trade, theother on soul jazz. both utterly essential. that n.y avant disco scene is really interesting... been trying to root out some larry levan too, but seems a bit thin on the ground. peter shapiro's book on the subject is ok, but suffers from wire syndrome and when he writes about the u.k scene his facts are utterly fucked so you wonder how much of the american info is accurate. but yeah, good call....
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Sep 27, 2005, 16:46
thanks for the info & wisdom, billy. it's appreciated. i'll be picking up both the records you mention. it's a fact!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 27, 2005, 17:17
I can reccommend the Souljazz set World of cos it finally allowed me to own Go Bang #5 on cd after not being able to play my 12" for years. Love that song. The rest of the cd's pretty cool too.

I have Another Side of Arthur Russell somewhere, I think the John Martyn vcocal thing's more evident there. While not carbon copies that soft deep-voicedness is somewhat similar
Stevo
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Feb 20, 2017, 13:36
Stevo wrote:
I can reccommend the Souljazz set World of cos it finally allowed me to own Go Bang #5 on cd after not being able to play my 12" for years. Love that song. The rest of the cd's pretty cool too.

I have Another Side of Arthur Russell somewhere, I think the John Martyn vcocal thing's more evident there. While not carbon copies that soft deep-voicedness is somewhat similar
Stevo

I've just purchased "The World of Arthur Russell" on Soul Jazz and it is an oddity right enough. Folk Disco, especially towards the middle of the tracklist?!?
Unsung Forum Index