"If I Could Do It All Over Again...

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Re: "If I Could Do It All Over Again...
Aug 01, 2005, 17:09
this is caravan's finest hour -- a marvelously delightful collection. recv'd the remaster in the post a couple weeks backs -- the sep 69 demos appended as bonus tracks are in some ways superior to the released takes, no doubt due to the off-the-cuff flavour and waves of tape echo that Pye's son Julian added while mixing the bonus tracks for release. triffic.

glad you're feeling a bit more cheerful :)
unleasHell
112 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 18:39
cool next up cunning stunts?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Aug 01, 2005, 23:56
Er, no...that is the one Caravan album that's always left me unmoved, to be honest. 'Stuck In A Hole' aside, I find it a bit overblown and dull. I much prefer the five LP's before it and the unsung mid-period pop gems like 'Better By Far' and 'The Album' after it.
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 00:16
quite agree quite agree...

Cunning Stunts is flawed by the interference of Mike Wedgewood, who composing and singing were so un-Caravan-like, that it like having a bucket of cold water thrown on you.

I was thinking of picking up Ether Way, as I don't have St. dunstans or better by far -- is it worth getting?
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 09:58
And Back to Front, patchy but worth buying for the title track and the superb 'Proper Job' alone!!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Aug 02, 2005, 21:47
Yes, buy 'Ether Way' with confidence; it's a good 'un. The Peel session verisons of the 'Stunts', 'St Dunstans' and 'Better By Far' material therein have plenty of verve and still sound good thirty years on.

Get 'Songs For Oblivion Fishermen' too, while you're at it!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2613 posts

Back To Front
Aug 02, 2005, 21:51
I think 'Back To Front' is THE most underrated album in the whole Caravan canon. The songs are wonderfully tuneful and bursting with lyrical wit, the harmonies between Richard Sinclair and Pye Hastings faultless, and the overall musicianship superb. Only David Sinclair's twee 'Sally Don't Change It' fails to make the grade to these ears, and even that isn't bad. No Caravan fan should be without it, especially in its expert new Eclectic remastering.
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Aug 03, 2005, 17:34
yes yes ....already own Oblivion Fisherman - that one is phenomenal. especially the version of land of grey and pink where richard cracks up laughing while doing the bubbling thing.

thanks for the advice on Ether ... I will sally forth, infiltrate a place of purveyance, and order it with all speed :)
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index