"Earache My Eye"

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

"Earache My Eye"
Dec 10, 2004, 09:32
by Cheech and Chong.

Possibly California's first example of punk/heavy metal hybridization? Possibly the title goes to Blue Cheer, but good goddamn I am listening to this track off of their pre-film 1974 LP "Cheech & Chong's Wedding Album" and I am AMAZED how ahead of its time it is. Truly in the spirit of something like Speed, Glue & Shinki.. anyone else remember this one?

They performed it in the "Up in Smoke" movie 5 years later where it seemed fit in to the cultural context of the other punk rock bands in the movie... but 1974? Tell me I'm not crazy
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Re: "Earache My Eye"
Dec 10, 2004, 15:02
YOU'RE InSAne!!!!!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 10, 2004, 15:19
That skit at the end was hilarious! "Daddee! You ruined my record! I just bought it!"
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Dec 10, 2004, 17:04
You are NOT crazy.....I think....

'Up In Smoke' is a belter of a film and ALL the music in it is great!!

;-)
Lugia
970 posts

Dec 10, 2004, 17:08
Oh, I think it fits better in '74, really...remember, the 'artist' on the 'song' was 'Alice Bowie', so of course that part was a big dig at the whole glitter thing. The lyrics are also a major giveaway, too...a pretty dead-on parody of much of that. Hilarious on numerous levels...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 10, 2004, 18:53
I agree, it's definitely intended as a glam parody. But still, Cheech's singing sound more fit for 1977 than 1974 . . .
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

Dec 10, 2004, 19:24
Yeah exactly Dogman, the way the riff is structured and the sneering vocals has more attitude than even Alice Cooper, who are one of my favorite bands. It makes sense in 1974 but could qualify C&C as "forward looking motherfuckers." Anyhow, I guess my point is that this is a real gem of a song.

I heard it on a Dr. Demento compilation (!) when I was a kid but just recently heard it again and I was really impressed that those two stoners came up with something so volatile. It's utter hilarity doesn't hurt either.
Unsung Forum Index