Register
Unsung Forum »
yeah yeah noh

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

yeah yeah noh
Oct 25, 2004, 13:37
...nice review popel vooje....cottage industry was a great record.

I saw the band when they supported Test Dept at Liverpool university (i think it was 84/85) and they were hilarious when, at the last song of their set called 'Jigsaw', they got these little bars of metal out and were bashing them....top stuff indeed even though Test Dept blew everyones ears off and the venue's staff had to open the doors of the hall to let some of the intense sound out.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: yeah yeah noh
Oct 25, 2004, 14:27
Cheers dude. Nice to know someone else remembers them. I also saw them shortly before they split, and I thought they were great, but it was at the Fetcham Riverside Club, and their off-beat humour just didn't translate to most of the audience at all. Bloody yokels!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 25, 2004, 16:24
yeah they were good live - I've still got a set list from the liverpool gig - remember them playing Crimplene Seed lifestyle which was a good tune. A girl I knew at art college was going out with the bass player, Adrian Crossam.

Them were the days......croak.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 25, 2004, 16:30
....i think the singer, Derek Hammond went on to write for the NME for a while after the band split , under the name DJ Fontana,
keith a
9574 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 11:57
A mate of mine sang backing vocs on one track on their Peel session! (He was a mate of John Grayland). Jim Tones might be interested to know that although JG originated from the midlands, his family moved to flintshire when he was growing up so was educated at Hope!

I've never met John but I know he's still making music. I haven't got the album, but Weakling Lines was a great single. Are you sure it was about the JAMC fans though? I wouldn't have thought the Mary Chain had many fans by the time this was released!!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Local Sayings no. 56
Oct 26, 2004, 12:13
"... his family moved to flintshire when he was growing up so was educated at Hope!"

'Live in Hope......Die in Caergwrle' !!!

;-)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 14:23
F***. It's so ironic that I posted that review two days before John Peel died, as I discovered YYN through his show. Next time I play that album I'll be thinking of him, no doubt.
keith a
9574 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 15:37
If it wasn't YYN, it'd be something else. Loads of my fave bands ever I 1st heard on Peel - TX inc.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 15:49
...I think of Peel everytime I hear the Wild Swans 'revolutionary spirit' as it used to always be in his festive 50.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 20:06
And it should.
Unsung Forum Index