Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

"seminal"
Sep 09, 2004, 19:08
a word much beloved of music journos.

here's the dictionary definition...

Of, relating to, containing, or conveying semen or seed.

Of, relating to, or having the power to originate; creative.

Highly influential in an original way; constituting or providing a basis for further development

so, on the face of it, any old tosser can be seminal, but it's particularly the third sense that i'm interested in here.

What songs/records/vids/blah are actually seminal?

I've seen the Stone Roses 1st album described as such, but frankly, it isn't.

Anything by Phil Colling would only apply in the first sense listed above.

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody video (but not necessarily the song) was groundbreaking enough to earn the title in my opinion.

but what else?
Lugia
970 posts

Re: "seminal"
Sep 09, 2004, 19:29
Seminal? How 'bout Sam Phillips' production output? That takes you from Jackie Brenston's "Rocket 88" up thru Jerry Lee Lewis's rockabilly stuff, including the Elvis Sun sides, early Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, loads of early R&B and electric blues, etc etc. And that raw, stripped-down Memphis Recording Service sound has been a touchstone in many 'back to basics' productions for decades.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: "seminal"
Sep 09, 2004, 23:06
frost and fire by the watersons
a secret wish by propaganda
second orbital album

it's a word that carries little meaning these days
Juliette Lewis
109 posts

Wow - something we both like! ;)
Sep 10, 2004, 18:46
"A Secret Wish" is my fave synth-pop album of all time. Love Claudia Brucken's accent: "Eeeenstalled byyy thaaa maachiiineeee..."
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Claudia
Sep 10, 2004, 23:49
keeping the theme, I agree that Claudia Brucken has a certain something, and seminal indeed is her magnificently metronomic hypnotic melancholy (he says in a plaid suit and titfer stylee) of their musical recital of Poe's 'Dream Within a Dream'.

Seminal:

Dazed and Confused

Mekanik Destructiw Knommandoh, esp 'Hortz'

Betty Boo's 'Doin' the Do"

:-)
Unsung Forum Index