Unsung Forum »
You Can Watch Rafferty Turn Into...

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
James Aswell
21 posts

You Can Watch Rafferty Turn Into...
Feb 10, 2004, 22:09
... a Serial. Now then. I have been listening to Sleeping Gas since I was a pup of 14 (38 now.) I was kind of hoping that life would have presented me with the answers to the following questions by now, but it hasn't.
1/ Who was Rafferty?
2/ Why would he/she "turn into a serial"?
3/ Who was A.A.P.?

Naturally, we all take different meanings from songs, it's automatic to apply your own frame of reference. But of all the songs I wish I understood best, it has to be Sleeping Gas. Seem to remember there's a Twilight Zone (?) connection, or summat like that. Not a sci-fi gurl, so please correct me in your droves...
J.A. xxx
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: You Can Watch Rafferty Turn Into...
Feb 10, 2004, 22:17
I thought I read Rafferty was a cartoon/comic character. I've read an explanation of this somewhere but can't recall where (sorry!).
James Aswell
21 posts

Feb 10, 2004, 22:23
That would make sense, as "...It's just like a cartoon by A.A.P". I expect we'll know a great deal more by this time tomorrow...! xxx
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 11, 2004, 00:38
Rafferty was a TV show (not a cartoon) in the 70's, and I seem to recall Julian saying in a very early interview that after seeing the single episode he knew it's be made into a serial.

AAP made cartoons (Czech IIRC but don't take that as gospel)
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Feb 11, 2004, 03:44
Wasn't Patrick"prisoner" McGoohan Rafferty?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 11, 2004, 03:47
Rafferty was apparently a character played by Patrick (The Prisoner) MacGoohan. Never seen it meself. Dunno if he was a Cop, Doctor, Lawyer, Slug Nibbler or what
AAP I think made the Popeye cartoons amongst others.
moey
moey
770 posts

stuff
Feb 11, 2004, 07:45
Rafferty was Sid Rafferty M.D. Patrick McGoohan in a US medical drama that ran for a few months in 1977. I guess Cope must have watched the pilot episode and the rest is song history....

a.a.p. - they were a television distributor. Bought up the rights to loads of Paramount (popeye) and Warner Brothers (Merrie Melodied) Cartoons. They were bought out by United artists in the late 50s and became United Artists Associated

moey
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: stuff
Feb 11, 2004, 07:49
that'll be "Merrie Melodies" then

That's all folks ;O)

moey
James Aswell
21 posts

You Guys Are the Bee's Knees..
Feb 12, 2004, 21:07
... you have put an old lady out of her needless suffering.
Next week: So what was the Kwalo Klobinsky's Lullaby thang all about, again...?
moey
moey
770 posts

Kwalo Klobinsky's Lullaby
Feb 13, 2004, 07:26
Gawd only knows - probably even Mr cope doesn't ;O)

moey
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index