Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Failure to deliver - Hype let downs.

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Failure to deliver - Hype let downs.
Jan 25, 2004, 18:02
awww! i liked the old Sputniks meself!

the first 2 45's were great in a Suicide-play-T.Rex- with-Moroda-producing kind of way.

saw them live too. a great night out - and that was checking out the hair-do's!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 18:26
You said a mouthful with Suigie or however you spell it! Love Missle was as empty and useless as Van Hagar!

As far as hype? How about the Railway Children? 99% of C86, not to mention 99% of 'modern rock' after 1991! Techno when it started out, but at least it got more interesting later... And acid house definitely! Trying to think what else... Elastica, who mostly ripped-off Wire. And Signer Rous or however you spell it -- that band from Iceland that was reviewed here. Even pagan publications were raving about 'em (because they're from Iceland?) but I think they're just a post-rock version of Nick Cave without the excitement really. Oh yeah, and post-rock in general. And I hate most of the 'pagan' 'dark-folk' shite that came out once Death In June and Sol Invictus became more popular. I mock that out on one track of my upcoming second album...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 18:31
It would've been much more interesting.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 18:36
I prefer the Strokes to the White Stripes!

Anyways, I was also gonna say something about the Cult... Well the Southern Death Cult and Death Cult record were actually good, as were "Rain" and "Love Removal Machine" of their otherwise so-so later records. But it is true that Asbury was a lousy singer and annoying poseur, although he does look like John Shoen of Pengo(!)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Hmm...
Jan 25, 2004, 18:36
Think you're doing something of a disservice to techno and acid house 'cos so much of it was/is completely underground that the genius tracks to total bollocks ratio is probably better than you think.
It wasn't so much a question of hype over here than a genuine and exciting movement.
No body in marketing thought of it and tried to sell it, well at least not until about 15 years later - it evolved and some amazing records came out of it so I can't see it as 'hype' per se.

I do concede that the whole acid house experience in the US is totaly different to here though.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Hmm...
Jan 25, 2004, 19:12
Well I wasn't much into dance music anyways... I don't want to put down techno 'cos some of the later stuff was cool. and I did see 808 State and the Orb live, who were both excellent. Just that when techno started to be the big thing and the college stations played it, I just thought that jack-hammer beat was an annoyance. And most acid-house just sounded the same. (Am I being too harsh?)
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 19:19
Hmmm, bit dinosaur here......after seeing Free, & being blown away, got front row (free) review tickets to see Bad Company at Brum Town Hall in 197something.....looked forward to it for ages, & all my mates were buying me drinks to score the other freebie....came the night, & they were shite, going throught the motions...worst thing was we were so close we could see that they were clearly wishing they were somewhere else...my bad review didn't dent their sales, though...anyone remember 'Redbrick' from B'Ham Uni?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 19:49
I think too many of their songs sound just like "Love Removal Machine" and even that one's not THAT good!
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 21:31
but 'love' is the BEST decorating record ever...have done 3 houses to that
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 21:41
LOVE was great...their best Goth/metal album. Many a pointy boot with petals dance with waify fishnet godessess to that album mmmrroaw .before they got seduced by LA n' stuff
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index