Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives 17/01/2004

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Soundtracks Of Our Lives 17/01/2004
Jan 18, 2004, 16:45
Afternoon. Lots to gibber about so without further ado...

Esbjorn Svensson Trio (EST) - Bits downloaded of the net by mate, may be the album Strange Place For Snow. Exemplary modern jazz trio (piano, bass, percussion) from Sweden. Very inventive and listenable stuff with influences from drum n' bass, dance and eastern things as well as trad jazz. Gonna see 'em in Buxton soon! Cool.

Younger Brother - A Flock Of Bleeps. Yet another project from Hallucinogen/Shpongle dude Simon Posford with Benji Vaughn from Prometheus. If you like Shpongle this does indeed sound like Shpongles more playful younger brother. Ambience, trance and dub jostle for space with latin and outer space influences. For those that are inclined - a fabulous tripping album. We tested it on Thursday *^)

OutKast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below. Two sides of the brilliant OutKast. Luvin it lots.

Hybrid - Morning Sci-Fi. Super sleek black shades and chrome ninja of a dance album. Sounds like it cost a billion dollars. Even more cinematic than their previous works. Hyper cool arangements; I can imagine playing it as a mega slick computer game or driving it as a jet black Ferrari.

Dandy Warhols - Welcome To The Monkey House. Electro sleaze tones infiltrate the guitar rock n pop stuff with pleasing effect.

KISS - Unmasked. Poppiest ever album from facepaint four; even a nod to skinny tie new wavery with keyboards in there.

Ultramarine - Every Man & Woman Is A Star. Lovely pastoral chillage and gentle house beats. A classic of its type.

Josh Abrahams - Sweet Distorted Holiday. Beats n breaks n bassy funk from Aussie producer.
Very different from his previous tech-house stuff!

Manitoba - Start Breaking My Heart. Whimsical, pastoral bleepy electronica. Very nice!

Trouble - Plastic Green Head. Stonery metal riffage with a nod Sabbathwards.

Amused By Genitals - Sprinkle Thy Arseflakes!

Slipknot - IOWA. Second album of inventive brutality and skittering metal crashes. Not as impactive as the debut but still good "AAAARGH!" music.

Suede - A New Morning. Not as bad as I first thought swansong from Suede. Mixed bag but still some worthy tunes amidst some of the dross.

Have a nice week!
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 17/01/2004
Jan 18, 2004, 18:41
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Blue Cheer - OutsideInside
Randy Holden - Population II

Have been in the mood for Blue Cheer this week, so listened to the 2 classics, they really hit the right spot at times, even managed to download the video of them performing Summertime Blues, revelation or what?!?!?! Also, Randy Holden's album is amazingly good, so dam slow and LOUD, love it!

Outkast - The Love Below: Andre 3000's contribution, it's really rather good in a horny eclectic funky kinda way, got to listen to this some more.

High Rise - Live: Yay, haven't put this on for some time and i'm glad i did, cleared a few cobwebs from the corners of me room :)

Brian Eno - Apollo: Forgot how dam spacey this one was, real nice late night chillage.

Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements: I've always thought Stereolab were "OK" but then i never listened to much of their stuff, this on the other hand really grabbed me and i'm getting really into it!

Tangerine Dream - Zeit: Another that hasn't been played for months on end. This just completely send me off somewhere else for 20 mins at a time making me feel all the better for it!

Amon Duul II - Carnival In Babylon: Arrrr, dont get much better than this :)

That's all i remember...

Have a good week!

:)
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jan 18, 2004, 20:21
this weeks exploration has been:
Tyrannosaurus Rex through to T Rex

and what an exploration it has been
forget all your marc bolan as teen idol as glam rock icon bollocks and go back and listen to this wondrous stuff

now Tyrannosaurus Rex were completely different to T Rex however the seeds were sown right at the start and as you proceed from album to album ideas are experimented and developed until you get to the band that then became Electric Warrior

u get bolan and peregine smith u get bolan and mickey finn then add visconti and a couple of others expermentations with strings n all simple song structures and recordings n a bit of peel sprinkled over the top

mmmmm
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

stereoblab
Jan 18, 2004, 22:30
Transient Random Blahblah is the first Stereolab record I heard/bought. Saw it in the record store, looked at the cover & title and new it would be cool.

I am still a fan of the raw live sound of that one vs. a lot of their more slickerer recent records. And "Pack Yr Romantic Mind" is 2 Dope.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 18, 2004, 22:54
Played my first gig in about 20 months last night, so that is the soundtrack of my week! From the feedback I got, apparently we killed it. Garage blues/R&B, played too fast & too loud.

Bonus points to anyone who can name the original artists of all of these tunes (100% covers):

Slinky
I Dig Your Wig
Plastic Factory
Branded
Bacon Fat
Stepping Out
Signed DC
Stoned
Barstool Blues
The Fuzz
Shot Down
I'm Crying
Run Chicken Run
Leaving Here
Waiting for "The Man"
Lugia
970 posts

Jan 18, 2004, 23:40
On this week:

60-CYCLE HUM: Lots of it. Goddamnit. Ruined a 53-minute PERFECT take of a piece for the next thing for one of the labels I'm on. Then spent days running around with an AM radio, trying to chase down where the hell it was coming from. Fuckingfuckingfucking...

But as far as real music goes...

COCTEAU TWINS: "Blue Bell Knoll". On the way in to the day job today. I still love this thing...it's nice, pretty, fluffy, but it keeps the mind engaged.

T-DREAM: "Force Majeure". Not their best, but not "Rockoon", either.

RADIOHEAD: "Kid A", "Amnesiac". For some reason I was in this really DOOOOOMY mood on the way home from temple this afternoon, so these were on during the drive, back to back.

MAIN: "Sound Pool". Got this via Amazon, used, a few weeks ago on a what-the-hell whim. Nice stuff...metal dub ambient drone some-sort-of-huh? Trippy stuff for night driving.

OVAL: "Systemisch". Because everyone should experience the sound of a damaged CD player, minus the damage, every once in a while.

JOHN COLTRANE: "Crescent". The 'prequel' to the monster "A Love Supreme", and a real unsung gem of 'Trane's modal mantra jam stuff. Might have to slap this thing up on here sometime.

That's the high points, I think...
keith a
9574 posts

Re: stereoblab
Jan 19, 2004, 00:11
new LP next month in the UK...
jonny fuego
22 posts

Jan 19, 2004, 00:15
Hi Everybody
This eek I have had time with:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds Sessions - quite enjoyed hearing how this was put together, been humming various trax off it all week.

Deacon Blue - When the world Knows your name - dug this out for the first time in years - much as I remembered it really, has a few moments, but locked in time and some really naff lyrics

Psychic TV - Force the Hand of Chance - now this has its moments - I've always liked track 2 side 1. Menacing.

Sun Ra - collection of singles from the late 60's - can't remember the title of the cd - put this on after reading the thread here - but although i can enjoy some of it, most is still just too much. I'll come back to it in a few years maybe

Maquiladora - what the day was dreaming - their best album, laid back acid campfire stuff. Haven't heard anymore about the album they were meant to be releasing with Makoto K

Adverts - BBC Sessions - I aways had a soft spot for this lot, liked the Red Sea LP. This puts together their Peel sessions. It has a few worthwhile versions but didn't really do it for me.

Chelsea - BBC Sessions - well they did support Throbbing Gristle one time so they can't be all bad... there's one classic Peel Session (I'm on fire/come on/no flowers / urban kids) that I played to death on tape when it was aired - it still sounds ok today (for a bunch of clash wannabees)

Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle - I've had this 25 years. I still don't like it!

Sunburned Hand - Soft - nice slices of Man-ness culled from their US tour. New stuff off the UK/European tour should be out soon - Mr Maloney says it's hot

Hiroshi Nar - Mew Mew - this arrived unbidden from Japan for me this week - one track from '73 of The Man being very silly and impersonating a cartoon cat

Charlie manson - Lie...Clang Bang Bang went the big iron door
Goodnite
keith a
9574 posts

Jan 19, 2004, 00:18
mmm indeed!!!

with you all the way on that one....
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Jan 19, 2004, 00:29
Hmmm...........

Bit of a Boredoms week, this week. Been playing over and over 'Wow 2' (funky punk, with horns - v. Buttholes!), 'Pop Tatari' (more of the same, but with all sorts of Can-isms thrown in), 'Super Ae' (fantastic, especially the opening few mins of Super Are You) and finally their 'Rebore Vol. 2' remix album - ultra great - what a band!

The Smiths - 'The Queen Is Dead' - i often forget how f'ing great this lot were - beats the shit outta Oasis (what a joke THEY are!)

Psychic TV - 'Cold Blue Torch' - surprisingly good remix album of mid-90's material.

Throbbing Gristle - 'Journey Through A Body' - TG's last ever studio recordings from early 1981 - TG do Martin Denny - great stuff!

Xhol Caravan - 'Motherfuckers Live' - hmmm, bit overrated this - disappointment.

The Hafler Trio - 'Redintegrate' - good early H3O - tapeworks, oddities and general weirdness.

Merzbow - 'Spiral Honey' - not one of his best, but still pretty interesting.

Thats about it, i think - pretty much had the Boredoms on all week - tho been working shitty shifts at work, so not had a great chance to listen to much anyway - bollocks!
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index