Unsung Forum »
"Celebration of the Lizard"

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Sep 21, 2003, 04:53
I've been waiting to hear this track for the past 24 years or so, so to finally hear it is a major revelation

Leave it to the powers-that-be to release yet ANOTHER damn Doors compilation ("Legacy-The Absolute Best")....but truly worth a listen is disc 2, last track: It's a 17 minute long studio version of "Celebration of The Lizard"... Hoo Yeah!

It's from 1969-70 so it's not an outtake from 'Waiting For The Sun" ...but it's still truly out there, sounds great and you hear Krieger's guitar cord crackle during the quiet parts

Kick ass
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: "Celebration of the Lizard"
Sep 21, 2003, 05:03
My Doors memory is a bit hazy,but wasn't there a version of CotL on Absolutely Live?

..glad you're enjoying this one though
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Sep 21, 2003, 05:23
Hey, Severin--

Yes, indeed!

Besides that one, all I've had to go on all these years was "Not To Touch The Earth" and that AMAZING excerpt from "The Doors Are Open" (Jim: I let my cheek slip down...the kewl, smewth tile...")

This one is really hooking into me, though: Jim's voice is SO great on it
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 21, 2003, 06:28
Nice to know someone likes the Doors. It seems like most people hate them. I remember when I saw Echo and the Bunnymen and overheard someone later saying he hated that they did a Doors song and then walked out.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 21:00
I used to hate on The Doors too . . .

Then I saw that film docu on the Isle of Wight festival -- their whole look and sound was so completely different than what everyone else was doing I couldn't help but give them respect from then on.

They were dark, moody & intellectual when everyone else was a stoned longhair trying to play Chuck Berry licks faster than the next stoned longhair. Probably even more important than the Velvets in terms of creating "goth rock".
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 21:02
PS: smells like a good topic for a record review . . . :-)
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 23:17
I've been curious about Morrison's fling with Nico and their wasted trips to the desert. They would have also made quite fascinating singing partners.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 00:01
>17 minute long studio version of "Celebration of The Lizard"... <

ooooh...might have to get hold of that one - I love the version on Absolutely Live. Woo!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 23, 2003, 02:28
And without Morrison to inspire Nico, we wouldn't have great albums like The Marble Index and The End.
Five
Five
960 posts

Sep 24, 2003, 16:00
Yeah - Jim's in good voice, the organ sounds great, guitar crawls in an out of the room, drummer is fantastically spastic - but go figure:

All the Mainliner and Comets On Fire and Acid Mothers and Sunn 0))) and so on that I subject my bandmates to, and this version of Lizard is what drives them out of the room screaming!
-5-
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index