Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Who'll notice if there's a war going on?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Who'll notice if there's a war going on?
Mar 17, 2003, 14:02
Today's METRO:

"Big Food Group, owner of Iceland stores, is demanding £12 million from the government of poverty-stricken Guyana.

The money is compensation for a sugar business the South American country nationalised in 1975.

Guyana, so poor the international financial community has written off 90% of its debts

...repaying it would cripple the Guyana economy...

Big Food's turnover of £5.2 billion dwarfs Guyana's £2.15 billion GDP. The group is refusing to back down and has forced Guyana to a binding World Bank tribunal hearing in London later this month."

Bastards.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Re: Who'll notice if there's a war going
Mar 17, 2003, 14:25
http://ww6.investorrelations.co.uk/bigfood/ListPress.shtml

and go email the nice public relations man with your opinions on this.
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Re: Who'll notice if there's a war going
Mar 17, 2003, 19:44
emailed the nice man, but he's not replied! and I'll try not to hold my breath
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

You could try Iceland directly.
Mar 18, 2003, 07:46
http://www.iceland.co.uk/ext_11/web/customer%20care.nsf/IceC?OpenForm
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Reply received:
Mar 18, 2003, 16:07
Tony

Booker & Guyana

Many thanks for writing to us about this. I thought you would be interested to read our recent statement.

17th March 2003

THE BIG FOOD GROUP PLC

STATEMENT

ARBITRATION WITH THE GOVERNMENT OF GUYANA.

The Big Food Group ('BFG' or 'the Company') has decided to lapse its claim against the Government of Guyana in respect of outstanding compensation due to the Company following the expropriation of Booker?s assets in the country in 1976.

Commenting David Sawday, Corporate Communications Director, said "We have reviewed this matter carefully in the context of our approach to corporate and social responsibility and believe the interests of both our Company and those of the people of Guyana, are best served by not proceeding. Booker has a fine record in Guyana. Not only did it develop the country?s sugar industry, but it invested heavily in the social infrastructure including the building of many schools and hospitals. We are requesting that these outstanding funds be channelled into projects that will directly benefit the people of Guyana."

The claim was due to be the subject of an arbitration hearing by the International Court For The Settlement of Investment Disputes later this year. The outstanding claim and associated costs are fully provided for in BFG's prior year accounts.

- End -

I hope this restores some of your faith in our company and that you will continue to shop with us.

Thanks again for writing.

David Sawday
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Re: Reply received:
Mar 18, 2003, 16:59
yeah, just got the same reply! Suppose it's a result, of sorts
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Mar 18, 2003, 17:00
Most cool! Sensible company. After the Nestle thing they have obviously seen the light. I still don't like their food though :)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 18, 2003, 17:01
Me neither. Didn't feel it was pertinent to tell them that my withdrawing my custom would amount to a loss of £zero income.
Northeat
1 posts

Mar 19, 2003, 09:31
Hi guys,
they pay my wages, so if you want front line comment....
N
U-Know! Forum Index