U-Know! Forum »
That's big of 'em...

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zastrozzi
Zastrozzi
144 posts

That's big of 'em...
Mar 04, 2003, 14:37
The U.S. promised yesterday not to torture Khalid Sheik Mohammed, but said it will use ''the full range of permissible interrogation techniques'' on al-Qaeda's captured senior planner.

http://www.nationalpost.com/national/story.html?id={D19357A5-561B-45F6-96BE-D5D7ECA6C93E}
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: That's big of 'em...
Mar 04, 2003, 14:49
yeah i heard that too.

It's funny; but the techniques they describe; sleep deprivation, psychological manipulation, audio and visual stimuli... all sound suspiciously like torture to me.

And i suspect; after the billions that the CIA/NSA have doubtlessly spent researching and perfecting these techniques that they are probably more effective, and cause more long-term damage, than if they got out the blades.

Civilised torture, eh? Welcome to the 21st century.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Mar 04, 2003, 15:07
"all sound suspiciously like torture to me."

Indeed it does. And more to the point, are these techniques not already recognised as being torture? I think Amnesty (for example) might see them as being so.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Mar 04, 2003, 15:19
i think it's a grey area. You, me and Amnesty know they're torture. The CIA know they're torture. The prisoner knows they're torture. But i suspect the international treaties that cover torture are vague on the subject.

It's my understanding that the US intelligence agencies have been working on and perfecting specific techniques deliberately because they stand outside the remit of anti-torture treaties. It's just semantics really (unless you're on the sharp end)
U-Know! Forum Index