White paper/lies?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

White paper/lies?
Feb 23, 2003, 21:28
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/green/comment/0,9236,901269,00.html

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I luv ya, toMORRoeuw...

Arghy.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: White paper/lies?
Feb 23, 2003, 22:51
I've been awaiting publication of this White Paper for a while. It seems to admit that the British economy needs to insulate itself against a reliance upon fossil fuels. This is being done under the auspices of Kyoto and reducing emissions, rather than any acknowledgement of fossil unsustainability. But all the same; i wonder how green Blair would be if cheap oil was plentiful?

Not that i'm gonna knock them for doing the right thing but lying about the reasons. If NuLabour say they are going to work towards a more sustainable and ecologically responsible society, then i don't give a monkey's about their motivations. Sometimes - only sometimes - the end does justify the means.

However i am openly and vociferously sceptical about the ability of global capitalism to wean itself off oil. Once again i have to bring up the analogy of the bus and the cliff. We're all in a bus being driven towards a cliff by the forces of unsustainable capitalist expansion. There are those who think there's still time to slam on the brakes.

Here's my thing. It seems to me that, actually, we shot over the edge of the cliff a while back. We've not hit the ground yet because we have a long way to fall... but applying the brakes now is kind of irrelevant.

Also, as i watched the news today, a politician once again called me "silly" and "ridiculous". This time it was a LibDem spokesman who patiently explained that the idea that any war in Iraq is about oil is simply ridiculous. It's a very silly idea indeed, apparently. There's no evidence whatsoever, he went on to say, that the oil industry would benefit from a war in Iraq.

Now, i don't know what sources he's been checking in his search for such evidence, but clearly he needs to either fire his researcher, or if (as i suspect the case might be) he's not got one, then he needs to hire one. Either that, or shut up about subjects on which he has no freaking clue!

On the subject of a victory for US forces in Iraq, Bill Herbert, an analyst with Simmons & Co. International, a Houston-based investment bank specializing in the energy industry, writes: "Clearly, the oil service industry would benefit". Analysis from Dow Jones suggests: "Even if that takes a war, energy companies can look with optimism toward the end result" and believes that war "could help turn around doldrums in the oil services sector for companies like Halliburton Co., Schlumberger Ltd., Baker Hughes Inc. and BJ Services Co."

Next time the LibDems send someone on TV to comment upon the oil industry they should find someone who is willing to actually read the analysis currently being published by the oil industry. Or is he implying that they too are "silly" and "ridiculous". What a complete idiot! A real smug tosser who wallowed in his ignorance whilst lecturing us.

Regarding the White Paper; i'm hoping to read it over the next week or so (i'm interested in the actual language used, rather than the shallow commentary that passes for analysis in the mainstream media these days). Will post my thoughts on it when i've read it.
ron
ron
706 posts

Re: White paper/lies?
Feb 24, 2003, 03:26
hmmm... hate to have the last post in 3 of 4 forums but... oh wot the hell...

unfortunately.... i believe the spokesman, in that the oil industry will not benefit from a war... sadly, being a ppolitico i don't think he believes it, it's just wot hes been told to say...

reasons i think hes rite r the same reasons u think hes wrong... u-know...

x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Read all about it
Feb 24, 2003, 14:35
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2792731.stm
U-Know! Forum Index