Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

What Mr. Blair?
Feb 12, 2003, 16:53
from
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2752163.stm

He added: "But the alternative is to carry on with a sanctions regime which, because of the way Saddam Hussein implements it, leads to thousands of people dying needlessly in Iraq every year."

Because of the way Saddam implements it? What!?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: What Mr. Blair?
Feb 12, 2003, 17:11
It's like something from the Onion.
Perhaps tony doesn't understand the meaning of the word sanction?
If I was in Iraq I think I'd rather take my chances trying to find some food rather than have a bomb drop on my head. But if it would be better for me morally to have that happen - oh, alright then Mr Blair.
cookie
77 posts

Re: Onion
Feb 12, 2003, 18:03
Was saying the same thing yesterday.. its getting harder and harder to tell the difference.

A fave of mine:
http://www.theonion.com/onion3903/un_orders_wonka.html
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

A Classic from The Onion
Feb 12, 2003, 18:48
One of the "News In Brief" items from the current issue. the last line is a killer:

Saddam Enrages Bush With Full Compliance
================================
WASHINGTON, DC—President Bush expressed frustration and anger Monday over a U.N. report stating that Iraqi president Saddam Hussein is now fully complying with weapons inspections.

"Enough is enough," a determined Bush told reporters. "We are not fooled by Saddam's devious attempts to sway world opinion by doing everything the U.N. asked him to do. We will not be intimidated into backing down and, if we have any say in the matter, neither will Saddam."

Bush added that any further Iraqi attempt to meet the demands of the U.N. or U.S. will be regarded as "an act of war."
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: What Mr. Blair?
Feb 12, 2003, 20:38
Much as I hate to be trundling this out (and the fact of how poorly I recollect it), there was an article in some American rag (New Reublic, or some such other 'Progressive' journal) maybe a year ago. It's constantly held up as proof that the sanctions are not what's killing the people under Saddam.

Basically, the northern Kurdish area which is under the same sanctions and UN control has none of the same problems.

I was screaming at the article when I was reading it because it was so blinkered in it's reading of the situation. And - this is where the annoying bit comes in - I can't remember the bits it was nicely glossing over.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

He's a
Feb 13, 2003, 01:35
Mother Ducker!"
PeteG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: He's a
Feb 13, 2003, 08:52
Eider you stop the duck references or I'll scream. I canard-ly hear my self think.

Thank you for your cooperation :-)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: He's a
Feb 13, 2003, 09:49
It's down to you, Pete. Before we quack.
U-Know! Forum Index