U-Know! Forum »
Mark Thomas... Weapons Inspector

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Mark Thomas... Weapons Inspector
Jan 31, 2003, 20:53
Please please please let me know you if you saw this programme tonight - without any doubt the most important television ever broadcast. For our foriegn posters, I will seek permission from Mark and Channel 4 to copy this tape for you, email me an address and I'll post you a copy at my expense. In case you have never heard of him, Mark Thomas is Michael Moore to the power of x. I know that any TV personality is a figurehead who can be shot down, but Mark Thomas represents the vast majority of the UK. Tonight not only did he try to inspect Faslane Nuclear base on a pedallo but he also exposed the US development of biological weapons and served Blair with a legal writ that should have him arrested if he defies the UN and attacks Iraq. There are no plaudits that convey the kudos that this comedian has earned - the only shame being that we live under such a regime where only comedians and intellectuals can criticise policy.
Shafty
39 posts

Re: Mark Thomas... Weapons Inspector
Feb 01, 2003, 11:59
Hello Again YerArseInParsley,

Yeah, I did see the programme.

I love the way that he knows exactly what the law is so the police shit themselves when confronted with it. It was a great programme. On his website Mark says that channel 4 originally gave him a 40 minute slot but on seeing the programme they reduced this to 24 minutes. I know I would have like to have seen more.

On the news last night Tony Blair started stating that he wants a UN mandate before he and Georgey boy start bombing. I wonder how much effect Mark Thomas's letter threatening to take him to court for crimes against humanity if he bombs without one, had on that.

Cheers

Shafty
jellyfysh
jellyfysh
247 posts

Feb 01, 2003, 12:25
anyone know if its to be repeated ?
I missed it.....
godddammmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Feb 01, 2003, 16:38
Missed it, sadly, but it sounds like it was great. Mark Thomas does some great stuff, and i have a huge amount of respect for him; but i always see Michael Moore as being Mark Thomas to the power of X. Moore appears to actually get more done (corporations changing their policies, government passing laws, etc based upon his actions), whilst Mark Thomas seems to lack the finesse to actually bring his opponents "on side".

Y'know? And i'm just thinking out loud here - not "being a critic". Moore (aside from having a bigger audience, which is important if a huge part of what you're doing is giving publicity to issues) just seems to have a more effective style to me - confrontational, but also amiable - a winning combination (a persona which i've often thought perhaps modelled on Peter Falk's "Columbo" character). Thomas is great, don't get me wrong, but he has a much sharper edge, which although great in one sense, may not actually be the most effective way to succeed at media activism?

Just my thoughts, y'dig?
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Feb 01, 2003, 17:26
X could be a negative number depending on your own preferences, I was just trying to describe him. I like Moore too, but Thomas motivates me a lot more due to his sharper edge. I also find him much funnier which of course is a matter of taste.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 01, 2003, 17:30
Mark Thomas is a comedian. So, you should find him funnier. I remember him being asked on R4 if he was influenced by Moore. He said:
"Influenced? No. I just wholesale nicked his act."
He's touring in the next month or so. Playing Cottier in Glasgow March/April. As is Jeremy Hardy.
caergog
393 posts

Feb 01, 2003, 21:42
we got it here in wales on S4C at 12.10am but it was worth the wait.some dodgy stuff going on. I wonder what mr blairs reaction to the papers served on him will be??
love caroline
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 11:42
Saw him in Coventry last week. Fabulous.

It was a few days before the programme was going out and he was so excited about it and the writ.

Go see him if you can.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Read all about it
Feb 03, 2003, 12:07
http://www.guilfin.net/database/showevent.php3?ev_id=evINET2070

RG
Chief Wiggum
22 posts

Feb 03, 2003, 14:24
It's on again tonite at 2 in the morn.Theres another mark Thomas programme on before it too.
xx
Bored Smarty Pants
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index