U-Know! Forum »
Jesus I despise Brexit.

532 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2019, 13:45
Re: National humiliation in the national interest?!
Mar 10, 2019, 13:44
I don't want to argue about this either. But you are wrong here. You aren't just implying -- you are stating outright -- that *I* am the one raising the spectre of The Famine. That I am the one deciding to link that tragedy to brexit. Which would be a pretty vile thing to do right? It's a vile thing you're accusing me of, right? And I agree.

Except it's not me doing it, is it? It's a tory front-bench minister. Just three months ago. Very loudly. And THAT's what I was referring to, which I assumed was obvious.

I used an admittedly exaggerated and satirical phrase (though no worse than you'll hear even on mainstream comedy shows here in Ireland). But all I was doing was referring to something vile that was said by a member of the British government about Ireland.

So why is it *me* "raising the spectre"?

It's not like I'm even the first one to condemn it. This is old news. That spectre was well and truly raised on the floor of the House of Commons by someone called Theresa May...
May condemns Priti Patel's remarks about using food shortages in Ireland for a better Brexit deal

Bobby McDonagh (Irish ambassador to the UK for 4 years) raised the spectre of The Famine too...
Priti Patel’s boorish Brexit comments showed ignorance about Ireland. She’s not alone

Ireland's Commissioner to the EU brought up the subject out of nowhere...
Phil Hogan: If Priti Patel wants to starve the British people, this is how to go about it

Except none of them did. Like me, they were clearly *condemning* those who would do that. Most notably a member of the British government.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index