Chelsea Manning released ...

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Chelsea Manning released ...
May 17, 2017, 16:39
... but is she free?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/17/chelsea-manning-released-from-prison
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Re: Chelsea Manning released ...
May 17, 2017, 20:11
I have no idea who 'Chelsea' Manning is....{and frankly...I don't care}
I sure as hell know who 'Bradley' Manning was and is though...
a traitor.
By any definition.
President Obama's pardoning of Manning was the only real breach of opinion I had with the man.
There are so many other deserving people in this world who's lives of humility, fealty and service to others that go un-noticed....
I've no time for the Assanges/Mannings/Snowdens/Shit-birds of this world.
Loyalty, pledges and oaths mean nothing to such people.
They have no honor whatsoever.
Dhajjie can't abide.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

May 17, 2017, 20:34
Certainly a changed world that she's coming back out into, not to mention a changed perspective on it that I imagine she will have, for lots of reasons.

On the one hand I admire the stance she took, but on the other the leaks were one of the many elements that coalesced to put Trump in the White House.

Wikileaks itself looks less savoury as the weeks and months pass, not least the free association with Farage and the seeming ties to Russian intelligence services.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 17, 2017, 20:53
I think you're right to call her her, not for her own sake but for others.

As for "Wikileaks itself looks less savoury as the weeks and months pass, not least the free association with Farage" that's true of everyone that associated with him.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited May 18, 2017, 14:26
May 18, 2017, 13:55
Chelsea Manning is one of my heroes; it's wonderful that she's finally free. Along with Snowden and Assange, Manning represents the greatest hope for contemporary Western culture. It's time for narrow nationalism (my country right or wrong) to be cast aside, and for people to become cognizant of the greater good. A crime is a crime is a crime, even when it's committed by America. My hope is that there will be millions of Westerners who are inspired by Manning / Snowden/ Assange, and follow in their selfless actions.

At this time of happiness, though, we need to reflect on the terrible price Chelsea paid for following a basic moral compass. She was subjugated to seven years' psychological torture at the hands of her captors; she was vilified in the press.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/mar/12/bradley-manning-cruel-inhuman-treatment-un

Chelsea will likely face deep emotional scars from this ordeal for the rest of her life. But no amount of torture and public ridicule can erase the fact: she did a great service to humanity. Chelsea Manning, the whole world thanks you.

Glenn Greenwald of the Intercept did a good piece on Chelsea's impact. I encourage everyone here to read it, and to feel inspired:
https://theintercept.com/2017/05/17/chelsea-manning-is-a-free-woman-her-heroism-has-expanded-beyond-her-initial-whistle-blowing/
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 18, 2017, 20:04
May 18, 2017, 14:28
Thank you for your post, I have read the Glenn Greenwald article and yes, do feel inspired.

Edited:
U-Know! Forum Index