9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: That makes me feel a LOT better.
Jun 29, 2016, 00:09
nigelswift wrote:
Thank goodness for an Irish grandmother and an Irish Gt Grandfather.

My son spent the afternoon organising applications for Irish citizenship (and eventually passports) for me, my 3 kids and my sister. I shan't use mine but I'll enjoy having a green passport with European Union at the top and my kids will certainly benefit from theirs all their lives. I paid, and I can't think of a gift I could give them that could give me more pleasure.

I had an Irish mother and obviously an Irish grandfather, who was apparently lined up in their village by British soldiers to be shot - they didn't shoot him in the end but sadly I didn't get to meet him. I've been to Ireland three times since my mother died five years ago - apart from some amazing megalithic stuff I was sort of trying to get to know her too but I don't think her Ireland exists anymore. She left when she was 18 but never stopped loving her country. I feel very sad the UK is going through all this - I heard Wales wants independence now and can't help feeling the SNP are actually quite pleased things went the way they did as they can now push for independence again. A lot of my friends have said they will move away but I feel England needs us now. A friend said on FB she was going to spread peace and love wherever she could. Another friend said you'll get beaten up if you do. I don't believe that.

Anyway back to Irish passports, this is worth a read.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/hold-off-applying-for-passport-ireland-tells-britons?CMP=fb_gu

U-Know! Forum Index