Register
U-Know! Forum »
That makes me feel a LOT better.

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

That makes me feel a LOT better.
Jun 28, 2016, 19:31
Thank goodness for an Irish grandmother and an Irish Gt Grandfather.

My son spent the afternoon organising applications for Irish citizenship (and eventually passports) for me, my 3 kids and my sister. I shan't use mine but I'll enjoy having a green passport with European Union at the top and my kids will certainly benefit from theirs all their lives. I paid, and I can't think of a gift I could give them that could give me more pleasure.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: That makes me feel a LOT better.
Jun 28, 2016, 19:37
People were saying years ago that an Irish passport got you into more countries with less hassle than a UK one. Middle East, Asia etc. Wonder if that's even truer now?
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 28, 2016, 21:59
You lucky lucky bastard.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 28, 2016, 22:34
have a joke as well, I read it on the indy100 (a crossbreed of the independent and buzzfeed)

How many Brexiters does it take to change a lightbulb?
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I didn't say there was a lightbulb.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 29, 2016, 00:09
nigelswift wrote:
Thank goodness for an Irish grandmother and an Irish Gt Grandfather.

My son spent the afternoon organising applications for Irish citizenship (and eventually passports) for me, my 3 kids and my sister. I shan't use mine but I'll enjoy having a green passport with European Union at the top and my kids will certainly benefit from theirs all their lives. I paid, and I can't think of a gift I could give them that could give me more pleasure.

I had an Irish mother and obviously an Irish grandfather, who was apparently lined up in their village by British soldiers to be shot - they didn't shoot him in the end but sadly I didn't get to meet him. I've been to Ireland three times since my mother died five years ago - apart from some amazing megalithic stuff I was sort of trying to get to know her too but I don't think her Ireland exists anymore. She left when she was 18 but never stopped loving her country. I feel very sad the UK is going through all this - I heard Wales wants independence now and can't help feeling the SNP are actually quite pleased things went the way they did as they can now push for independence again. A lot of my friends have said they will move away but I feel England needs us now. A friend said on FB she was going to spread peace and love wherever she could. Another friend said you'll get beaten up if you do. I don't believe that.

Anyway back to Irish passports, this is worth a read.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/hold-off-applying-for-passport-ireland-tells-britons?CMP=fb_gu
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 04, 2016, 18:28
I bought the Irish Post yesterday just to see what their take on everything is. There seems to be high levels of anxiety in Ireland about what the long term ramifications of Brexit will be. In fact the first seven pages were given over to reporting on it, including the increase in demand for Irish passports - particularly from people in Northern Ireland.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 04, 2016, 19:52
Well if you're English with relatives in Northern Ireland you can apply for Southern Irish citizenship, which is handy. "We (!) Irish have a long record of welcoming people back. I'm thinking of playing soccer for them as well.
tyroneshoelaces
38 posts

Jul 13, 2016, 17:05
My wife's half Irish, so that's her and the kids sorted. They're seriously looking into getting them, as are her three siblings. My maternal grandmother was Scottish and my dad was born there (though both parents English), so once they become independent and within the EU, that's where I'll go for my passport.
tyroneshoelaces
38 posts

Jul 13, 2016, 17:07
Wales doesn't want that. They largely voted to get out of the EU and there are UKIP MPs...
U-Know! Forum Index