U-Know! Forum »
How do you view this?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

How do you view this?
Jan 17, 2016, 17:47
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/14/charlie-hebdo-cartoon-depicting-drowned-child-alan-kurdi-sparks-racism-debate

I've never been a fan of political cartoons.
I generally find them a bit lazy and obvious.
That this is been interpreted in different ways by different people maybe means it does something else altogether, but all the same, the subject matter is a bit grim.
Mind you, there were various politicians and ac-tors and things making capital out of that drowned little lad too, all claiming they'd 'take in a Syrian family' but as yet I do not think it has happened.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Re: How do you view this?
Jan 18, 2016, 13:27
Not sure its rocket science? If you believe that the publishers of Charlie Hebdo would be of the opinion that all immigrants are abusers then believe it's racist. Personally (given the political leanings of CH) I'm more of the opinion that its a satire on the contradictory - to some extent - populist opinions (oft generated by the media) of migrants.

On the other hand - if this were put out by say the BNP - I'd probably think they were seriously suggesting that this might be the case.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jan 18, 2016, 13:33
As with all the cartoons I've seen from Charlie Hebdo, add an on looking little bloke with a big nose and his pigeon and it would be a cartoon from The Sun by Stanley Franklin. Radical!
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Jan 18, 2016, 22:13
I don't know how sensibilities in France are now after the Paris attacks, not sure if this particular drawing will end up riding two ponies at once, even if it isn't the intention.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Jan 18, 2016, 22:59
Jan 18, 2016, 22:47
The drawing in question (not depicted in the Guardian link) is to me unnecessary and just a bit too dark to travel anywhere.
If they did want to challenge a perception of all migrants as sex attackers (as has been suggested they were doing) then I am sure there would have been other ways to do it.
I don't feel particularly 'provoked' more the way I'd feel if I saw a photograph of Jimmy Saville grinning with an unsuspecting pretty little girl sitting on his knee and some 'comedy caption' about not trusting blokes in dodgy tracksuits or something.
Kind of 'empty' and a wee bit sickened.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Edited Jan 19, 2016, 14:09
Jan 19, 2016, 14:05
Thats a sad bit of political muck-raking.
However...
if the two theme's that are foolishly merged here are split into the 2 relevent {and timely} issues, then perhaps there would be something to chew on.
The groping {or much worse...} is a serious problem.
Just ask Lara Logan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lara-logan-breaks-silence-on-cairo-assault/
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Jan 20, 2016, 10:43
We had a representative from the Women's Equality Party (a new political party over here) on our news refusing to acknowledge any specific cultural problem.
I do my best to believe people are people but all the same she did not want to separate the fact our society does recognise the crime of rape and some societies do not.
Can that inform attitudes?
Probably.
An excuse?
Absolutely not.
A reason or cause?
Maybe.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jan 20, 2016, 12:58
A crime against humanity is just that. Rape/molestation qualifies.
Society and Culture are 2 diffrent things. Most society's have laws in place that effectively deal with these issues. Many cultures scoff at these laws within there own society.
The culture is thus worth implicating.
These are not issues that {any} immigrant society will get to deal with on there own terms. {ie: Sharia}
If a culture wants to transition into another society, they should embrace the future and not the stoneage.
This stuff can't be swept under a rug for fear of political 'correctness'
U-Know! Forum Index