U-Know! Forum »
Stella Creasy *secret* meeting

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Stella Creasy *secret* meeting
Dec 06, 2015, 21:18
Saw something interesting on C4 news tonight.
Stella Creasy had e mailed constituents to attend a meeting explaining her reasons for voting for Syria airstrikes.
All done rather quietly to not much publicity.
Can't see much about it on the net at the mo'.
C4 cameras were outside, no one was waving a banner, there was no protests or chanting going on, and most of the people interviewed were older folks.
Most expressed their frustration that she was not listening to them and felt she did not represent their views.
She said something about it being her job to act as she thought more so than how they thought.
Did not go down well.
I do believe there are elements of nastiness going on, but this was all very present, sober, and correct.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 07, 2015, 10:13
Re: Stella Creasy *secret* meeting
Dec 07, 2015, 10:09
A lot of what is happening in the constituency looks very much like it is being exaggerated to paint the left of the party as thuggish bully boys and girls. However, unlike many of her parliamentary colleagues, this is not being done by the MP herself.

She is further to the right on the economy than I would like BUT she is a fantastic single issue campaigner. Her work on pay day loans dwarfs anything JC has achieved from the back benches in all the decades he has been in parliamnent. And I say that as an ardent Corbyn supporter.

I suspect that she is a major contender for the Labour leadership for the 2025 election alongside Keir Starmer (who can afford to vote against military action because he is ex military so clearly not a pinko pacifist in tabloid land). Being utterly cynical it is probably not wise to have what the tabloids will present as an "appeasement" vote on your record if you want the nation's top job.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Dec 07, 2015, 11:28
Syria may just play out badly and some people may just be proved very wrong, I hope to God not of course.
We may get off with it fizzling out of our conscience like Libya more or less has, but there are more than tiny reminders popping up about what yet another M.E disaster that was, as much as Afghanistan and Iraq remain the biggest symbols.
We have been made anything but safer.
Maybe we have truly had enough of employing leaders by their 'interventionist credentials'.
Of course it's all very convenient that this stuff is going on in order to bury the truth that most of what Corbyn proposes domestically polls as popular time and again.
There aren't many articles out there discussing that in particular.
But they can't be suppressed forever.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Dec 08, 2015, 16:02
I did hear there was some abuse and threats towards those who voted yes, which at the end of the day doesn't do anyone any favours. She voted how he saw fit and I think she'll learnt regret it, as Benn, seems to be starting to do as he's now talking about how there needs to be a plan. Pity he didn't say that at the time though. I think a lot of people were caught up in the rhetoric and not thinking about the consequences, or even the reality of the situation.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 08, 2015, 20:12
Dec 08, 2015, 18:42
sanshee wrote:

Syria may just play out badly and some people may just be proved very wrong, I hope to God not of course.
We may get off with it fizzling out of our conscience like Libya more or less has, but there are more than tiny reminders popping up about what yet another M.E disaster that was, as much as Afghanistan and Iraq remain the biggest symbols.
We have been made anything but safer.
Maybe we have truly had enough of employing leaders by their 'interventionist credentials'.
Of course it's all very convenient that this stuff is going on in order to bury the truth that most of what Corbyn proposes domestically polls as popular time and again.
There aren't many articles out there discussing that in particular.
But they can't be suppressed forever.

The shortage of credible commentators in the media who are to the left of Copper and Burnham is really noticeable at the moment. It was always the case but Blair's policies didn't point that up. There's Owen Jones and er ..... that's it. Even the New Statesman is skeptical and seems from its podcast to be staffed entirely by over-educated continuity apparatchiks with too much time on their hands and way too keen to be seen to be in the game of popular culture. Too much Game of Taylor Gaga.

James O'Brien on LBC has softened the last week after killing Corbyn on air day after day. Syria seems to have opened his eyes. He still has the second best show on radio after the genius of the Livingstone / Mellor two-hander on Saturday mornings.

The BBC would probably have a show called A Right Pair of Hunts featuring Tristram and Jeremy. In fact I am going to suggest it if Alan Partridge didn't already get there first.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Edited Dec 08, 2015, 19:40
Dec 08, 2015, 19:36
IanB wrote:
The shortage of credible commentators in the media who are to the left of Copper and Burnham is really noticeable at the moment. It was always the case but Blair's policies didn't point that up. There's Owen Jones and er ..... that's it. Even the New Statesman is skeptical and seems from its podcast to be staffed entirely by over-educated continuity apparatchiks with too much time on their hands and way too keen to be seen to be in the game of popular culture.

James O'Brien on LBC has softened the last week after killing Corbyn on air day after day. Syria seems to have opened his eyes. He still has the second best show on radio after the genius of the Livingstone / Mellor two-hander on Saturday mornings.

The BBC would probably have a show called A Right Pair of Hunts featuring Tristram and Jeremy. In fact I am going to suggest it if Alan Partridge didn't already get there first.

Cannot recommend the LRB highly enough. In depth and from a variety of voices. Pay to view - annual subscription under £20 and access to all back issues. The blog is free though and pretty essential:

www.lrb.co.uk/blog/
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Dec 09, 2015, 16:07
Dec 09, 2015, 15:36
IanB wrote:

I would be all for that but only if James Naughty presented it;)

EDIT: Caught Mellor/Livingstone show recently.
Two do work very well together. very listenable stuff.
Just really started listening to LBC not that long ago, portable DABs don't always pick up that well (and sometimes that's only option) but Tivo box does the job.
U-Know! Forum Index