Corbyn and Trident.

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Corbyn and Trident.
Oct 01, 2015, 11:26
Some see Labour's reluctance to support getting rid of Trident as the issue being slammed into a brick wall.
Well, maybe not.
As we've learned the unions came out in support of the workers at Faslane not to bring the discussion to conference.
Right there and then we are told that in order to achieve non renewal such a thing as process and persuasion is involved.
But Corbyn has been speaking anyway, all over the media, and that shifted the discussion from purely about mechanical process to something 'philosophical', and that hasn't happened before in front line politics.
Of course it's a gross waste of money, end of.
Corbyn said as prime minister he would never 'push the button'.
That in itself takes the discussion to a new level IMO.
Ok you support keeping Trident, but you would never deploy it.
Would you?
Who in favour of retaining the damn thing is in favour of using it?
Who would actually come out with 'well I'd push the button'.
What exactly are they arguing against here?
No one but an utter lunatic can actually, seriously say that they would deploy it anyway.
I found Corbyn's argument here brilliant.
R4 this morning had a serious military bod giving us all the grim details of the process should there ever be a nuclear attack sanctioned.
He more or less said when it came to anything so dreadful, all bets would be off.
No one has a clue how anyone would behave.
We don't need Trident out of the Clyde and shifted along the road to Portsmouth, we need rid of it altogether.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: Corbyn and Trident.
Oct 01, 2015, 11:37
This is from Thomas Pride

"For Heaven's sake, the UK obviously NEEDS an independent nuclear deterrent. It's the only thing preventing us getting nuked.
Just look at all the nuclear attacks non-nuclear Germany has had to suffer. Not to mention Sweden. And poor old Canada. And Australia. And Spain."
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Oct 01, 2015, 12:40
Oct 01, 2015, 12:12
Russia currently has 8000 warheads trained on their enemies, the U.S 5000, China 3000, Britain less than 200. If we're in any way to be respected as a global power, we have to at least times that number by 10. It's just not acceptable as is. Right now any time a Brit tries to assert his power on an internet message board as to the superiority of British comedy over American, the American need but mention that they have twenty-five times the number of nukes to us in their possession and the argument is as good as won. Great Britain? Piddling, Diminiscule, Sterile, Flaccid Britain more like.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 12:16
Absolutely agree

Watched some of the soundbites on the news with utter astonishment

"You're not fit to be PM unless you'd press the button"?!?! So unless you're prepared to kill millions of innocent people in an ultimately futile act of revenge you're not fit to be PM?

Might explain why all the ones I can remember have been shite.........
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 12:30
Thing is right now we're not a global power, we just like to think we are.

Irregardless of how many nukes other countries have we really don't need them. Britain may have one of (if the best) army in the world but it's small and getting smaller, so if war were declared we're not in an ideal situation to actually fight it. Our army now is best at guerrilla warfare than full out frontal combat. For that there's the US that actually has the resources.

Other countries know this full well and we've never been an important target for a major strike (since WW2) we're just not big enough. Sadly Britain now is mostly bark and little bite. For us to have nukes is a colossal waste of money that, considering the rampant rise in poverty we just can't afford due to all the debt that this govt is creating!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 12:42
I have one and a half nukes in my garage right now. I'm willing to bet that's one and a half more than you own. Argument won. No need to reply.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 12:45
Well I had curried egg for tea last night...
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 13:07
Amnesty! You win. Although I'm sure there's something about curried eggs in the Geneva Convention. :/
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 13:12
People in work would probably agree with you!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 01, 2015, 13:32
You should learn to stop worrying and love the bomb.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index