Budget 2015

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Budget 2015
Jul 08, 2015, 18:48
Suppose it's ok if you're an over 25 coke noting millionaire with no children living off daddy's inheritance gained through clever tax dodging loopholes!

If not, you're pretty fucked!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Budget 2015
Jul 08, 2015, 21:49
Captain Starlet wrote:
Suppose it's ok if you're an over 25 coke noting millionaire with no children living off daddy's inheritance gained through clever tax dodging loopholes!

If not, you're pretty fucked!

I'm still trying to make sense of it ... as always, the devil is in the detail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33440315
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 08, 2015, 23:40
Jul 08, 2015, 21:49
Replicated previous post.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 08, 2015, 23:39
Jul 08, 2015, 21:50
Replicated previous post.
carol27
747 posts

Jul 08, 2015, 23:05
Not sure ( purely selfishly), how I'll get my youngest lad thro uni now with the bastards scrapping the maintenance grant. I know there's people in far worse situations, but....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 08, 2015, 23:27
Jul 08, 2015, 23:26
carol27 wrote:
Not sure ( purely selfishly), how I'll get my youngest lad thro uni now with the bastards scrapping the maintenance grant. I know there's people in far worse situations, but....

My post seems to have indigestion, is repeating on itself. This budget seems to be hitting the poorest people hardest. I'm not fully up on the current criteria for maintenance grants as I thought all student loans only had to be repaid once the graduate started earning over a certain amount. As it happens neither of my sons went to university - I was a single mum living from one month's salary to the next. They did all the annoying things young men do but turned out fine eventually.
carol27
747 posts

Jul 08, 2015, 23:41
tjj wrote:
carol27 wrote:

My post seems to have indigestion, is repeating on itself. This budget seems to be hitting the poorest people hardest. I'm not fully up on the current criteria for maintenance grants as I thought all student loans only had to be repaid once the graduate started earning over a certain amount. As it happens neither of my sons went to university - I was a single mum living from one month's salary to the next. They did all the annoying things young men do but turned out fine eventually.

I know he'll be ok tjj. It's just that he'll worry about the money side of it I suppose. They give the maintenance grant to low income kids, on top of the student loan,( which I only discovered recently won't cover living expenses, which I naively thought it would.) Anyway we'll muddle through. He's my youngest of three boys, the other two didn't go to uni. In fact my middle son barely attended bloody school given half a chance, the bloody sod, but he's the most sorted of the lot so far!
carol27
747 posts

Jul 08, 2015, 23:47
"all the annoying things young men do"; now there's a discussion topic!
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2015, 03:03
Jul 09, 2015, 02:53
Hate the Tories. But...working tax credits had to be reformed. They've ballooned out of all proportion (£40BN per year apparently) and basically become an excuse for employers not to pay a REAL living wage. And capping them at 2 kids seems fair enough - and the principle should be extended to ALL benefit entitlements. Why should it fall to other taxpayers to pay for your children? It's your choice. Can't afford to look after them, don't have them. My parents didn't get tax credits. They would now. But they managed their life choices and finances sensibly, and didn't rely on the state. I hate to see the Tories dismantle the Welfare State, - and what they're doing to the disabled / mentally ill with ATOS and the unemployed with benefit sanctions is a national disgrace - but I also hate to see it abused by c**ts like Mick Philpott and the Jeremy Kyle brigade.
carol27
747 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2015, 05:25
Jul 09, 2015, 05:03
thispoison wrote:
Hate the Tories. But...working tax credits had to be reformed. They've ballooned out of all proportion (£40BN per year apparently) and basically become an excuse for employers not to pay a REAL living wage. And capping them at 2 kids seems fair enough - and the principle should be extended to ALL benefit entitlements. Why should it fall to other taxpayers to pay for your children? It's your choice. Can't afford to look after them, don't have them. My parents didn't get tax credits. They would now. But they managed their life choices and finances sensibly, and didn't rely on the state. I hate to see the Tories dismantle the Welfare State, - and what they're doing to the disabled / mentally ill with ATOS and the unemployed with benefit sanctions is a national disgrace - but I also hate to see it abused by c**ts like Mick Philpott and the Jeremy Kyle brigade.

Whoa, I agree the employers should pay a living wage, but if in reality a lot of them don't.....? I'm not so sure " scroungers" are as prolific a population as the Tory press would have us believe; rather, a minority & how the hell they bypass the impossibly stringent requirements to get benefits I don't know. As you write, even the deserving claimants are being thoroughly shafted & their lives being ruined.
Personally, I work 5 days a week for just above a minimum wage. I haven't ever claimed tax credits, I don't know why I just dont. Prior to my current job, I earned a lot more money in an impossible career which I left through stress, realising it was affecting my mental health. The child benefit (when the boys were of age) went to my ex, as he was on a lower income than me. I don't like to think that anyone other than ourselves supported & funded our children. The uni maintenance grant was, however, a deciding factor in Gabe' s decision to apply to go there & now it's being withdrawn it makes that choice a lot more difficult. But, as I said, we'll find a way. I also acknowledge that others are suffering far more than ourselves; but don't intimate that I expect any of my fellow taxpayers to pay for my children; I have too much pride for that, & they're MY kids. I wouldn't want some mean, narrow minded, shrivelled up wanker having the satisfaction of any influence over my life choices.My hard earned cash is sensibly budgeted to the last bloody penny, it has to be or we'd be off to the food banks like hundreds of other poor sods.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index