U-Know! Forum »
1/6/2013

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

1/6/2013
May 31, 2013, 08:22
Tomorrow, the mass slaughter of badgers begins and is expected to continue for the next 25 years. They call it a cull. I call it murder, plain and simple, inspired and engineered by nothing but profit and political lobbying power, and backed up by highly questionable and contentious science. It seems to me that this beautiful animal has become a tragic symbol of our land, and what is happening to the wider country as it is ravaged by psychopaths with an agenda of nothing but greed at the expense of those that cannot defend themselves. A fucking sad and disgraceful day indeed.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Edited Jun 02, 2013, 00:39
Re: 1/6/2013
Jun 02, 2013, 00:39
An absolute disgrace and an indictment of the current regime. They've ignored the science (culling doesn't prevent bovine TB), parliament (the motion was defeated) and now they are ignoring the vast majority of the public. Studies have shown that the cull will inflict pain, injury and starvation on badgers and their young, and not solve the problem.

This is a sop to the farmers. The real solution is immunisation, but the government doesn't want to finance it, so they are fobbing off the farmers with a cull, which, coincidentally will please the huntin' shootin' fishin' set too - tories the lot of them - well well, what a surprise.

Next up birds of prey.

This government has done more to destroy our society than Thatcher's mob, and they haven't even got a mandate. The Lib-Dems should be ashamed for supporting this out of touch bunch of rich, self-serving bastards, but they won't be because they are rich, self-serving bastards too.

Stand up and fight. Vote them out at every opportunity. Speak out against them at every opportunity. Write letters to your MPs, write to your local press, speak to the people you meet. It is our responsibility to kick this lot out. Do it people. DO IT.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jun 04, 2013, 12:57
Jun 04, 2013, 12:54
Squid Tempest wrote:
An absolute disgrace and an indictment of the current regime. They've ignored the science (culling doesn't prevent bovine TB), parliament (the motion was defeated) and now they are ignoring the vast majority of the public. Studies have shown that the cull will inflict pain, injury and starvation on badgers and their young, and not solve the problem.

This is a sop to the farmers. The real solution is immunisation, but the government doesn't want to finance it, so they are fobbing off the farmers with a cull, which, coincidentally will please the huntin' shootin' fishin' set too - tories the lot of them - well well, what a surprise.

Next up birds of prey.

This government has done more to destroy our society than Thatcher's mob, and they haven't even got a mandate. The Lib-Dems should be ashamed for supporting this out of touch bunch of rich, self-serving bastards, but they won't be because they are rich, self-serving bastards too.

Stand up and fight. Vote them out at every opportunity. Speak out against them at every opportunity. Write letters to your MPs, write to your local press, speak to the people you meet. It is our responsibility to kick this lot out. Do it people. DO IT.

Quite surprising to see on Countryfile immunisation taking place in Ireland, though wretchedly they have been culling since 2004, results are not predictable one way or another.
But to get back to voting, Brian May has a petition up and this is taking place tomorrow.

'The Labour Party last week announced that it has tabled an Opposition Debate in the House of Commons this coming Wednesday (5 June) into the Government's plans for a badger cull.'

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2555 posts

Jun 05, 2013, 12:32
Agreed :-(
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 07, 2013, 11:41
A complete analysis of why we should not cull the badgers, excellent summing up by Standing stones...

http://standingstonesblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-badger-cull-what-you-need-to-know.html
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Jun 09, 2013, 09:08
Thanks Moss. I'll post it on my FB page.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 25, 2013, 08:26
Joe Public are left in a pretty hopeless position here. I listened to two supposedly equally qualified learned scientific people who presented two entirely different but plausible scenarios. I also have to listen to farming friends who oppose each other in the same way and have very heated arguments over this. A vaccine seems to me to be the middle and sensible ground and surely no costlier than paying teams to go out on murderous missions. At least Brock is alive at the end of it, something that the greater majority would surely like to see.
U-Know! Forum Index