Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: And so it begins....*
Apr 03, 2012, 13:17
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
I expect the standard "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear argument" will be trotted out in defence of this.

He you go:

"In a further sign of a determination to push on with the plan, Home Secretary Theresa May said "ordinary people" would have nothing to fear.

But "criminals, paedophiles and terrorists" would, she told the Sun"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17595209

Nice to see Theresa highlighting the bogeymen du jour for the Sun readers.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 13:24
Squid Tempest wrote:

The other bit of dumb in all this is basically trying to say that those three groups use no methods of data encryption, or location obfuscation. Interception is not remotely the same as being able to dissassemble and understand the communication. You can throw as many super computers at a problem as you like, you're not going to be able to decrypt a message encrypted with freely available PGP software (or similar).
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 15:03
stray wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

The other bit of dumb in all this is basically trying to say that those three groups use no methods of data encryption, or location obfuscation. Interception is not remotely the same as being able to dissassemble and understand the communication. You can throw as many super computers at a problem as you like, you're not going to be able to decrypt a message encrypted with freely available PGP software (or similar).

Exactly. So, in fact the only people who DO have something to worry about are the "ordinary people"!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 18:28
Moth wrote:
No I didn't vote for it. But then I didn't vote for the Tories....

love

Moth

Either did I! I have a soul you know! ;^)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 18:33
Funnily enough there was a hootin-falutin Tory MP on the news this morning who seemed against the idea, not only on ethical grounds, but also 'cos it's a stupidly impractical idea.

He was saying that the sheer amount of information to sort through if this is implemented is so vast that you're almost guaranteed to miss the very things you're looking for in the first place.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 18:34
Toni Torino wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
I expect the standard "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear argument" will be trotted out in defence of this.

He you go:

"In a further sign of a determination to push on with the plan, Home Secretary Theresa May said "ordinary people" would have nothing to fear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17595209

Nice to see Theresa highlighting the bogeymen du jour for the Sun readers.

In the Daily Star she said it would help look for baddies and vampires and The Joker.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Apr 03, 2012, 19:49
Apr 03, 2012, 19:40
Moon Cat wrote:

He was saying that the sheer amount of information to sort through if this is implemented is so vast that you're almost guaranteed to miss the very things you're looking for in the first place.

Well, um, meh, its a good point. The thing is not about missing things, which any kind of filtering (and there would have to be filtering) would do, but about having the legal freedom to do it at all. This whole process is just a content aggregation activity, an information land grab informed solely by the paranoia of politicians. This content will probably be used to direct and inform policy, in much the same way that Google targets adverts based on where you go online.

Thing is the most effective way to snoop would be to just monitor packets as they fly around the net, looking for specific content types and behaviours, and then duplicating the packets off somewhere for analysis later. This is a known and documented strategy of the NSA in America where an ex-employee of a telecoms company revealed such a thing and the equipment that was installed at the place he worked that did it (was a court case, all interesting and yet unsurprising stuff). Although the internet does route data packets in a seemingly arbitrary way there are key hubs that most traffic goes through. For example pretty much all traffic between the US and the UK goes through the same route.

Run a traceroute to any of your fave websites. In windows open up a shell by typing cmd in the run box, or find cmd.exe and then click on it. Then type tracert (like say type tracert facebook.com) do it with a few and you'll see the same groups of router/server addresses cropping up as it lists all the hops from you to the site. Er.. of course the first few hops will always be through your ISPs gear, disregard those.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Apr 04, 2012, 16:00
Moon Cat wrote:
I have a soul you know!

Yes, but it belongs to The Mawther!

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Apr 04, 2012, 18:29
I wasn't meaning to suggest for a moment that you did!!!

Not sure about the soul thing, tho! ;^)

love

Moth
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 05, 2012, 01:53
I didn't say it was my own...

hee hee hee...
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index