21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Feb 10, 2011, 23:14
Re: Wikileaks
Feb 10, 2011, 23:13
I've felt ambivalent about the whole Wikileaks affair up until now (actually, I guess I still do). On the one hand it's an incredibly powerful tool for whistleblowers to get proof of wrongdoing into the public domain. On the other hand, it's become rather politicised and I don't feel Julian Assange has done the right thing in making himself the public face of Wikileaks.

However, all that aside, I'd suggest that the single most significant document ever revealed by Wikileaks hit the news a couple of days ago and made hardly a ripple upon our collective consciousness.

WikiLeaks cables: Saudi Arabia cannot pump enough oil to keep a lid on prices

I've written about the phenomenon of inflated reserve estimates on numerous occasions at my blog and elsewhere (this short piece links to other more comprehensive ones) and while it's something that has appeared in several books on the subject of peak oil, this is the first time it's made it into the mainstream media in a significant way (significant in the sense that it is given prominence merely by having the Wikileaks "brand" attached to it).

That Saudi Arabia has over-stated oil reserves by up to 40% doesn't come as a big surprise to those of us who have been studying peak oil for a while; but it's a little unsettling that so few people / news organisations seem to be treating it as big news. Because it certainly is.

U-Know! Forum Index