Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Ed Miliband wins Labour leadership
Sep 26, 2010, 11:39
Moon Cat wrote:

I won't hold my breath, but you have to have some reason to get up in the morning.

I concur, but I'm getting pessimistic, especially as the banks have already succesfully talked down the first phase of regulation ideas. It'll drag on for another couple of years and eventually it'll get to the 'well, things are alright(ish) now, we don't need new regulations/limits'. All talk of reining in banks and big businesses will just be posturing. It's the public spending cuts where all the real actions, and their effects, will be felt.

There is nobody in any party with the balls or the understanding of the markets function to truly change them (and I include Vince Cable in that, he talks a good fight, but is horribly inconsistent).
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2010, 13:11
Sep 26, 2010, 13:06
I agree it wont happen, the city is far too powerful to let it. There will be some pressure to reduce the outrageous bonuses, it'll just have the effect of making people hide the way they're paid, this is the city after all there are always ways of transferring bonuses via other means - soft currency loans etc.

Sadly Ed Millipede won't loose his Red Ed tag and labour will probably loose the next election because of it, David Millipede though not so good on policy from my perspective (further right) would have stood a much better chance of winning the next election - which in the end is more of a priority. The best (likelihood I mean) I'm hoping for is a Labour Demoncrat coalition next time round.

Agree with Mark wotsit though, the demoncrats whould never have gone into coaltion and left the Tories to flounder on their own and then failed and had another election sooner rather than later, perhaps the nation would have come to its sense and said "Ohh fuck what were we thinking putting the Tory waxwork boy in charge"
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 17:01
In all but destroying the power and respect of the unions, Thatcher also wiped out our sense of community in Britain. It has since remained an 'everyone for themselves' kinda society. Blair was little more than a tory stooge in many ways to many folk. Brown, little more than his charisma-free accountant.

Once this tory/liberal government are dispensed with, we might actually have something close to a revolution where WE get power and return to values. C'mon, work with me here - I can dream, can't I?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 17:08
Yes you can. I'm clinging to the same dream as you.
dee
1955 posts

Sep 26, 2010, 18:03
and me !!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 02:16
I think he's been chosen so he can grow into the leadership job. He hasn't held the same major posts as his brother, who seemed to be a more finished article, so he has some time to mature into being a Labour leader for the next British election. Saying that I hope he and his party are trounced, along with the other unionist parties, at next years Scottish elections.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2010, 05:25
Sep 27, 2010, 05:18
Congrats to Ed Milliband for winning. It was a close call, but all the clever money was moving towards Eddie baby. I laid a Monkey on baby face [as a betting man] rather early on.
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 10:19
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
...I laid a Monkey on baby face...

Sea Cat! I think I've just found a title for your forthcoming book!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 10:28
Uncanny! I'm in Chandleresque noir mode and wearing Spats.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Sep 27, 2010, 13:42
Hasta la Victoria Siempre!!!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index