IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2010, 13:21
Re: Positive Action With The Nuge
Aug 24, 2010, 11:43
grufty jim wrote:
IanB wrote:
Fair enough. I was brought up to be wary of gangs of marching men...

Me too. As I say, it's a matter of scale I'm talking about. Not one is good, the other is evil.

What I was saying is that I think that capitalism is the playground where the mad men and women of our species do the lesser damage. Of course post Cold War anti-capitalism is the more popular vehicle for protest and activism.

Ecological and economic collapse are in this era understandably easier for some people to engage with than the sound of the jackboots of Communism or Fascism on Horsegaurds Parade. Though when it came down to it more people turned out against Iraq than would ever turn out for an anti-capitalist rally. The effect of smart bombs being a more vivid and easily imaginable threat to hearth and home and the skuills of ones children than junk bonds. And to be reductive about it people really like shopping. A lot.

I know what you are saying too and the scales I would want to look at are immediate body count, psychological / spiritual damage, cultural damage and ecological damage. Of course separating the effects of militarism from capitalism is a difficult task.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index