Record breaking heat
Jul 29, 2010, 06:01
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/?report=global
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Record breaking heat
Aug 06, 2010, 00:27
missed this when you first posted it Dave.

Bump...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 01:51
It's scary.

One cannot help but contemplate exponential climate disorder.
jshell
333 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 14:31
You only look at one side, you only get one side...

http://joannenova.com.au/2010/08/noaas-state-of-the-climate-report/#more-9748

If there's one thing I know, it's that I don't know as much as I thought I knew.

The only other thing I know: There is simply no testable, repeatable human signal in global warming. There are models, theories, views and opinions, (on both sides) but there has never been a proveable link between the two. Ask about it and you get screeds of writing, theories, calculations etc, etfuckingc, but it's not proveable. Not saying it never will be, it just hasn't been yet.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 15:00
jshell wrote:
The only other thing I know: There is simply no testable, repeatable human signal in global warming. There are models, theories, views and opinions, (on both sides) but there has never been a proveable link between the two. Ask about it and you get screeds of writing, theories, calculations etc, etfuckingc, but it's not proveable. Not saying it never will be, it just hasn't been yet.

There's certainly enough evidence to warrant action. And anyway, with fossil fuels it's not just global warming (as if that wouldn't be enough!) but it's also acid rain, increased respiratory problems, poisoning of fresh water sources at coal mines, oil spills, you name it.

We're talking about catastrophic changes to the world... whole areas where humans live going back to the sea, massive crop failures (Russia, right now), glaciers disappearing which will dry up rivers, etc.
It's time to stop complaining that 'It's not our fault', and start figuring out how we're going to deal with what's coming. At the same time, moving our energy sources over to clean ones that use free (wind and sun) power WILL reduce pollution, and by extension, it is hoped, the accelerated rate of warming that it irrefutably taking place. But even if it doesn't, it will be of benefit for us to have done so for the other reasons I mentioned above.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 15:40
handofdave wrote:
jshell wrote:

There's certainly enough evidence to warrant action. And anyway, with fossil fuels it's not just global warming (as if that wouldn't be enough!) but it's also acid rain, increased respiratory problems, poisoning of fresh water sources at coal mines, oil spills, you name it.

We're talking about catastrophic changes to the world... whole areas where humans live going back to the sea, massive crop failures (Russia, right now), glaciers disappearing which will dry up rivers, etc.
It's time to stop complaining that 'It's not our fault', and start figuring out how we're going to deal with what's coming. At the same time, moving our energy sources over to clean ones that use free (wind and sun) power WILL reduce pollution, and by extension, it is hoped, the accelerated rate of warming that it irrefutably taking place. But even if it doesn't, it will be of benefit for us to have done so for the other reasons I mentioned above.

Absolutely seconded.
jshell
333 posts

Aug 06, 2010, 18:09
There is certainly enough evidence that we overuse, overpollute, well over-everything to be honest. But, there is no hard, proveable, repeatable evidence that Global Warming is caused by CO2. There are all I mentioed above, but it's not proveable.

You know that we're being predicted to enter a La Nina cold cycle this winter? The earth is in a warming cycle like it has many, many times before.

I know Merrick will give me 100 links to prove AGW, but all that's been proven is that we are warming.

If the authorities were honest, we'd wind "consumer" society down, but to do it based on a lie will be fought to the death - perhaps ours. The only thing we can do is adapt as a species.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Aug 06, 2010, 20:52
Aug 06, 2010, 19:07
Merrick tends to break the issue down into simple logical pieces, from what I've seen, rather than posting links.

So you start with "Is CO2 a greenhouse gas".

It is, by the way. That is solid science. Repeatable ad nauseum.

Then he asks, "Is human activity adding CO2 to the atmosphere"

You may choose to deny this, but "Yes" does seem to be the most likely answer, given that we're digging carbon from the ground, burning it in a process that creates CO2, and then releasing that CO2 into the atmosphere. If you don't think we are increasing the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere, perhaps you can explain what happens to it. Your Nobel prize awaits.

So, if the answer to the first two questions is yes, the third has to be,

"If CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and we increase the proportion of it in our atmosphere, will that increase the greenhouse effect of our atmopshere?"

What's the rational, logical answer to that question?
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Aug 07, 2010, 01:26
love the patronising approach..worthy of Merrick himself!
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Aug 07, 2010, 01:27
You should try out for a childrens TV presenter... you'd be good.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index