IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 15:14
Re: Ian Tomlinson cop: no charges
Jul 22, 2010, 14:21
stray wrote:
IanB wrote:

I don't think it is about numbers on the streets any more. It is about how the activism is reported. The right wing media are gagging for some kind of grass roots, right wing activism. Anti urban, anti immigrant, anti taxation, anti (so-called) big government. Only takes a hanfful of people and the compilicity of the Sun, Mail and Sky news. I don't think that will be great at all. It would be very ugly. The return of Tebbit Toryism without the constraints of party politics. Shudder.

Yeah, christ. You could be on to something here (thinks of Germany in the early 1930s). You know, with the sky news scum (Adam Boulton & Kay Burley) being roundly laughed at..um.. they may be the voice of our silent minority after all. It's really difficult for me to tell as I'm surrounded by like-minded people who find them and their ilk to be completely on the opposing end of sanity and reality.

All we can do is rely on this countries strong aversion to the far right, which, against all reasonable evidence, I still believe exists.

I really hope so. I think the libertarian right could be a magnet for those with a sense of entitlement who are unwilling to blame themselves for their financial troubles. Their views on the hot issues, which are often going to be far to the right of Cameron's own stated positions, are largely unrepresented by this government's public face. It would not be a shock if those views start to surface in a form of organisation that operates outside of party politics. I prfer the Tory right in the Commons where I can see them.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 14:52
Jul 22, 2010, 14:25
stray wrote:
Ha, actually I reckon Hague could have won with a working majority. He would have just needed a few more HIGNFY appearances ;) Recently he has been more impressive in the house than Cameron on the few occasions he's filled in for him.

Yes and that's a true sign of the times we are living in. There is a void of ideas that is being filled by a hodge podge of policies that come from a centre right pragmatism that is fed by a softened old school monetarist ideology. It's weak Thatcherism with a whole load of laxatives to ease their passing! Though when it comes down to it all Tory governments have the same instinct at a time of economic crisis - borrow less, spend less, keep taxes more or less where they are and ,as for the poor, let them eat cake. Their problem is going to be if swathes of their natural supporter base start to think of themselves as improverished and find an echo of that sentiment in the media.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 15:13
CPS explain why
Jul 22, 2010, 15:13
The Crown Prosecution Service have published a statemment on their reasons

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/articles/the_death_of_ian_tomlinson_decision_on_prosecution/

They say the dodgy first autopsy said it was natural causes, and this would undermine the other two autopsies that blamed the assault, so they couldn't go for a Manslaughter charge.

They say Assault has a six month limit that passed while they were working on it, so they can't charge with that now either.

However, there's a gap in their reasons for not going with Actual Bodily Harm or Misconduct.

They say there's no firm evidence that the fall from the shove actually injured Tomlinson. In this part, they don't mention the baton strike that left patterned bruising, which is the clear evidence they need for both charges.

Or am i missing something?
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

Jul 22, 2010, 18:11
it would all be depressing if it wasn't so bloody predictable
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Jul 22, 2010, 19:15
Fucking shocking. I hope the family take out a private prosecution.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jul 22, 2010, 20:51
This is a fascinating game of Chess played by the CPS and the Police. The victims family, their Solicitor said on C4 that since the family are not wealthy they could not afford a private prosecution. Having 3 autopsy's was a blinding move, especially as the copper in question asked for a third autopsy. Why would he if Patel the first M.E noted nothing incriminating?

Patel looks really incompetent. Perhaps he was the chosen one to begin with.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Edited Jul 22, 2010, 21:41
Jul 22, 2010, 21:41
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
since the family are not wealthy they could not afford a private prosecution

Let's see if anyone stumps up enough starting money to make a fighting fund a reality.

How much does a private prosecution cost?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2010, 01:25
Jul 23, 2010, 01:22
Vybik Jon wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
since the family are not wealthy they could not afford a private prosecution

Let's see if anyone stumps up enough starting money to make a fighting fund a reality.

How much does a private prosecution cost?

Fucking great idea, i really hope someone gets that ball rolling , i for one would contribute, i'd still rather see the fucker hanging though, and if we can't get enough money for a private prosecution i'm sure we can scape enough money for a snipers rifle.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Jul 23, 2010, 01:28
The Sea Cat wrote:
I disagree there, but I may be wrong. We had the Poll Tax riots, and so when the full impact of what is coming is really felt in all the affected sections of the population, I think there's going to be a huge backlash that will cause their downfall. You see, it's no longer the have and have not's. It's the very wealthy versus the majority of the rest of the population. The sheer scale and far reaching ramifications of this onslaught has no precedent in modern times in this country.

This particular disgrace will be part of the overall collective psyche when the time comes.

I truly believe this and so hope you're right mr cat.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jul 23, 2010, 08:03
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jul/22/ian-tomlinson-g20-cps-ruling

and related article links.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index