11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Wimbledon AFC
Jul 23, 2002, 22:54
Hiya
Living here these days near Luton I am watching this with interest. I hope that it is not the sign of things to come for the game to become like American sports with teams being acquired and moving around all over the place although with something like football I can't see it happening.
I feel sorry for the Wimbledon supporters as they have been disenfranchised. It will be interesting to see what the relocated club calls itself - I think that Football League rules mean that your name has to be related to where you are located. Clearly Wimbledon is out of the question I heard that MK Dons was being suggested which sounds shite.

A few years ago when Newcastle City council blocked plans for a new stadium in Newcastle they threatened to move across the river to Gateshead I am sure this would have resulted in a name change. for the Toon - disaster.

Also what is the impact going to be on local league sides? Will crowds be down if a higher standard of football is on offer. Northampton, Rushden and Diamonds and Luton must be worried?
Joolio

U-Know! Forum Index