Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
duckbreath
254 posts

Wimbledon AFC
Jul 22, 2002, 12:45
http://www.wisa.org.uk/cgi/l/articles/index.cgi?action=show&id=167

Not sure how widely reported this story has been in England -

Basically after the Wimbledon FC have been looking to move to Milton Keynes and set up a football francise without caring about what their fans tyhink - the Wimbledon Independent Football Association was born and fans have even set up their own club Wimbledon AFC who are playing in the Rymans league this season.

There is a widespread boycott of Francise FC as the old club have been dubbed and they haven't sold any season tickets at all compared to 600 for Wimbledon AFC who got nearly 5,000 to watch them at their first friendly.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: Wimbledon AFC
Jul 22, 2002, 13:03
Wow. As a person who has just left MK this story is very interesting. MK does not have a ground capable of holding a club of Wimbledons size, so it would have to build one from scratch. The people of MK don't really care one way or the other (about anything, ever, as it goes). Mind u, depends who would end up paying for it. Will keep watching this story with interest.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 22, 2002, 13:14
Wimbledon do not need that big a ground and could probably use the local park :-)
duckbreath
254 posts

Jul 22, 2002, 14:03
At the moment the independent supporters association and the new club are fundraising to buy back 'Plough Lane' from Safeway who want to build cheap houses there - they need to raise £12m though. And it's a terrible stadium too.

I like the way the protest has snowballed and the fans have organised so well - last season fans refused to buy replica shirts and programmes and all wore old shirts and created quite a good fanzine/programme of their own and now they're boycotting the games all together - Selhurst Park is going to be even quieter than usual this season.

I hope other clubs get behind the Wombles fans.
mushroom si
43 posts

Jul 23, 2002, 20:29
Good luck.
I was really impresed that Dons fans have done this. Stick together, the franchise wimbledon owners will be cacking it.
Good Luck
Si BWFC Fan
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jul 23, 2002, 22:54
Hiya
Living here these days near Luton I am watching this with interest. I hope that it is not the sign of things to come for the game to become like American sports with teams being acquired and moving around all over the place although with something like football I can't see it happening.
I feel sorry for the Wimbledon supporters as they have been disenfranchised. It will be interesting to see what the relocated club calls itself - I think that Football League rules mean that your name has to be related to where you are located. Clearly Wimbledon is out of the question I heard that MK Dons was being suggested which sounds shite.

A few years ago when Newcastle City council blocked plans for a new stadium in Newcastle they threatened to move across the river to Gateshead I am sure this would have resulted in a name change. for the Toon - disaster.

Also what is the impact going to be on local league sides? Will crowds be down if a higher standard of football is on offer. Northampton, Rushden and Diamonds and Luton must be worried?
Joolio
duckbreath
254 posts

Jul 24, 2002, 13:05
Joolio -
by playing at Selhurst for 10 years they would disqualify themselves from calling themselves wimbledon already.

man city fans have been saying for years how man united shouldn't be allowed to call themselves this because they are based in Salford which is an entirely different city. they blacken the good name.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jul 24, 2002, 13:12
I don't know about that.

How far is Selhurst Park from Wimbledon anyway - my geography of South London is poor

But I am sure that the rule re name + place does exist I have heard it mentioned when other clubs have looked to move eg the Dons proposed move to Dublin, Maidstones move to ground share with Newcastle a few years ago
duckbreath
254 posts

Jul 24, 2002, 16:20
my geography aint too good neither but i'm pretty sure that selhurst isn't in wimbledon - i remember a load of fuss about ten years ago when they moved out of Plough Lane - the council won't let them play there cause they think the football team bring the place down with their reputation for shouting at alan hansen and always playing the long ball game -

i like them because they are the complete opposite of the lawn tennis association.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Poor Salford
Jul 26, 2002, 13:17
Yep, Man U are in Salford. It gets worse for Salford, both the new art gallery, and the new Imperial war Museum are also both in Salford. However, the press, and even the Gallery and Museum themselves say they are in manchester. Not only is Salford a seperate city, it's also been a city longer than Manchester.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index