Homeopathic overdose protest in Boots

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Homeopathic overdose protest in Boots
Jan 28, 2010, 16:26
I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here.

I never trusted homeopathic medecine due to the scientific arguments already mentioned here. However, I have a very good (and intelligent) friend who suffers from a very serious condition (I won't go into details here as it is another's health I'm talking about). For some years now homeopathic remedies have provided her with the only relief she has been able to get - conventional medecine did nothing for her. Apparently for her it really works, and in ways that it is hard to fit in with the placebo effect. real, physical differences.

I was as cynical as the rest of you until this. Now I'm really not so sure. Could it possibly be that there is something going on here that science has yet to suss out?
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2010, 18:20
Jan 28, 2010, 16:59
Squid Tempest wrote:

I never trusted homeopathic medecine due to the scientific arguments already mentioned here. However, I have a very good (and intelligent) friend who suffers from a very serious condition (I won't go into details here as it is another's health I'm talking about). For some years now homeopathic remedies have provided her with the only relief she has been able to get - conventional medecine did nothing for her. Apparently for her it really works, and in ways that it is hard to fit in with the placebo effect. real, physical differences.

I was as cynical as the rest of you until this. Now I'm really not so sure. Could it possibly be that there is something going on here that science has yet to suss out?

Well this is the point. I can understand the rationalist's argument completely, but I quiver on the cusp just like Pascal lest there is a phenomena acting that science has not yet discovered. I hedge my bets because animals have been known to be cured. In fact I remembered my mother rescued Snoopy in 1970, our dog from the pound from being put down. She cured his distemper using homeopathy, no placebo effect there; and then there is the anomalous and mysterious nature of the water molecule.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 28, 2010, 18:22
Seems to me that there is a simple solution here... sell the homeopathic remedies, but put a disclaimer on them that states that they are not shown to be effective under double-blind clinical testing.

At the same time, make sure all 'legitimate' medicines are also labeled with information about their efficaciousness under the same standards, and full disclosure of their dangers via side effects, dangerous interactions with other drugs, etc.

My personal view is that the public at large is far too willing to blindly trust whatever Merck or Pfizer shoves onto the market, because they bear the 'legitimacy' of being products of big pharma. In the USA, testing has been truncated and safeguards lowered to satisfy the profit rationale of those companies. As a result, drugs hit the market that kill people before they are withdrawn. Let's not even talk about the dangerous drugs that are dispensed to deal with nebulous maladies like 'social avoidance disorder' or whatever.

Medical errors made by the establishment kill more people every year than just about every other cause combined. At least homeopathic remedies by themselves aren't packing the sort of hideous side effects and potent dangers of many 'legit' drugs that merely mask symptoms or provide minimum relief for maximum profit.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2010, 20:58
Jan 28, 2010, 20:57
Feelings as to whether this stuff works or not aside, Boots don't exactly sell them beside the 'pharamcy counter 'stuff.

If Boots were stocking them beside Nurophen, for example, and claiming them as like for like, then that would be a different thing altogether. I am sure it would also be highly illegal.

But they're not doing that, are they?

People will as readily go to Holland and Barrat, or wherever sells the stuff, so why just protest against 'Boots' I wonder?

x
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 28, 2010, 21:37
I can get those homeopathic things at the local Wegmans, but I can say they don't work for me at all.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2010, 21:49
Jan 28, 2010, 21:43
I think it's just a rouse to have a never-thunk-up-yet dig at a multi national.
If it was about genuine concern for 'the ill', then the campaign wouldn't just be focused on the biggest of the players.
Reading over the website, it's really easy to see how transparent this all is.
x
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2010, 23:27
Jan 28, 2010, 22:53
"They're going for Boots as they're the biggest pharmacy in the country, they are trusted to be selling effective medicines"

They do. They also sell other products such as 'complementary medicines' - as well as perfumes, reading glasses, food, photographic materials and insect repellent.

"..none of us can have the time to check the data on the efficacy of everything our chemists give us"

Then find the time if buying such products and feel it's a serious issue... do a bit of personal research, ask a pharmacist and if still in doubt, you have the option not to purchase.

".. and yet they admit that homeopathic pills are useless."

Where have they said they are 'useless'?

"My guess - untested - is that having someone you trust take a bit of time to be nice to you and be soothing is immensely powerful, and the reason homoeopaths get good results is they sit down and be soothing with their patient for an hour or so instead of the 4 minutes you get at a GP's."

That's a very obvious point that anyone could be'nice' but still a generalisation.

"Some studies show homeopathy to work, others show it to be harmful, and the vast bulk show it to have no effect at all beyond placebo."

Which is why they are sold as complementary medicines.
People have choices. Some people believe they work.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 28, 2010, 23:24
Ditto

8)
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Jan 29, 2010, 10:07
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Well this is the point. I can understand the rationalist's argument completely, but I quiver on the cusp just like Pascal lest there is a phenomena acting that science has not yet discovered. I hedge my bets because animals have been known to be cured. In fact I remembered my mother rescued Snoopy in 1970, our dog from the pound from being put down. She cured his distemper using homeopathy, no placebo effect there; and then there is the anomalous and mysterious nature of the water molecule.

Unsinkable Rubber Ducks (as Chris Brookmyre would say)

If you believe in this rubbish, no amount of proof will lift the wool from your eyes - good luck with it if you get heart disease, cancer, or ANYTHING that wont go away on its own!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 29, 2010, 10:54
pooley wrote:
good luck with it if you get heart disease, cancer, or ANYTHING that wont go away on its own!

So...say you have incurable cancer. No conventional medical treatment is working. Would you not try alternatives, just in case? Despite my scepticism, I suspect I would be tempted...after all, what have you got to lose except some cash? And as they say, you can't take it with you...

Mind you, I can't help but agree that in all likelyhood you would be lining the pockets of quacks and charlatans.

Then again, you may be one of the lucky ones who find a successful treatment outside the mainstream, like the friend I mentioned in my first post.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index