U-Know! Forum »
Which one is weirder?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Which one is weirder?
May 27, 2009, 02:40
Esther Rantzen standing as an MP (thinks she's Martin Bell, I reckon more of a Kilroy), or the latest Ukipper being unsettling uncomedian Frank Carson?

either way, that's surely a silver/bronze playoff given that the next election also promises the prospect of David Van Day MP.
Mike Stand
Mike Stand
61 posts

Edited May 27, 2009, 03:58
Re: Which one is weirder?
May 27, 2009, 03:57
Merrick wrote:
Esther Rantzen standing as an MP (thinks she's Martin Bell, I reckon more of a Kilroy), or the latest Ukipper being unsettling uncomedian Frank Carson?

either way, that's surely a silver/bronze playoff given that the next election also promises the prospect of David Van Day MP.

DVD and the 'no expenses party' - an opportunist celeb slag just like Esther. At least we can still have a larf while we consider how we've all been systematically ripped off by the same wankers who rail against 'damned benefit scroungers and immigrants wasting public money'. Ho ho ho, it's good to be alive.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 27, 2009, 12:10
Given that Nadine Dorries is one of the most odious politicians in the land, anything that might split her vote (yes, even David van Day) is a good thing.

Holy crap. We live in a world where it's possible to describe David van Day's entrance into politics as "a good thing". And people tell me the apocalypse isn't coming!?
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

May 27, 2009, 23:24
a wry observation sir and sadly true. but David Van Day's no good to man nor beast. definitely a fucking conservative then !
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

David Van Day
May 28, 2009, 11:36
when I interviewed David Motion, a producer who'd worked on David Van Day single, he described him as the least musical person he'd ever met.

I love the anecdote, so here it is:

=============

Wang Chung had written a song for him. They got me in to engineer this thing, we did it at Marcus studios. David Van Day is a very very nice bloke, very amusing person, but he really could not sing to save his life. We were recording his vocal and he just could not get it, just COULD NOT get it. At Marcus there was a vocal booth with a piano in it which you couldn't see into from the control room, which was very very necessary. We had to have him off to one side out of sight, because he would've found it demoralising had he seen the efforts we were going to. It was in turns exasperating and amusing.

What we resorted to doing was running the tape, take all the backing track out of it, and at a particular moment Jack would play the piano and sing the line before and I'd bang it into record and David would try and mimic what he just heard. It took days and days and days to get four lines of vocal which were really not that hard. It was scary. I'd be punching in on individual syllables.

The amazing thing is that once you did actually piece one together out of sixty odd takes it sounded a million dollars. But god it was hard work.

At the end of doing this track we went to a Japanese restaurant and we all got quite drunk and David was saying he didn't want to be a singer anyway, he wanted to be an actor. I can't remember if he said he'd been to RADA [Royal Academy of Dramatic Art] but he'd certainly been to some acting college. And then proceeded to spout Shakespeare at volume. Just before we asked for the bill he gave it the whole 'now is the winter of our discontent', doing a good thirty lines of it.

http://www.strawberryswitchblade.net/interviews/motion_01.php
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: David Van Day
May 28, 2009, 12:06
Thanks, Merrick- I've just spent a pleasant half hour on the Strawberry Switchblade site after that. Excellent stuff. Since Yesterday was the first 7" I ever bought, and it still holds a very special place in my heart. I occasionally see Rose at gigs in Brighton, but have never dared to say hello.

Sorry, this is way off topic- I'll get back to Unsung now. Stuff the thieving politicians! Up the revolution! etc.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 28, 2009, 12:56
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
I've just spent a pleasant half hour on the Strawberry Switchblade site after that.

Be sure to download their cover of Sunday Morning, it's utterly beautiful

Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Sorry, this is way off topic- I'll get back to Unsung now. Stuff the thieving politicians! Up the revolution! etc.

Shit yes. Pulp all the MPs and make them into insulation to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, etc.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

May 28, 2009, 20:39
Also just spent a happy while over at strawberryswitchblade.net - curated by yourself Merrick? I'd nearly forgotten about them. The mp3 demo for Trees & Flowers is gorgeous, as was the finished version if I recall.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

May 28, 2009, 21:09
ha ha excellent reading. he's just a frikkin' stone gone nut job isn't he? dammit you know he could be perfect. imagine him versus old esther. she's just plain scarey to look at at the moment it's like someone microwaved her skin and it reacted like a crisp bag shrinking around her cheek bones. still. can't knock her for having skin wrapped round her cheek bones

unless she gets in and claims further microwave sessions were necessary expenses.

it's all gone mad hasn't it?

they've really proved once and for all what a bunch of fucking thieving pocket lining scummers they really are. fucking bin the lot and let's start over.

funnily enough the recently ex MP for Reading Martin Salter is one of the few politicians that has done nothing wrong in that area. he worked his bollocks off ( this is in real terms merrick ok? !) for Reading and you'd always see him wandering about his constituency. a real Reading bloke. and always sticks his thumb up if you shout his name out at the top of your voice as you're driving past him in your truck (good labour test that is mate, good labour test !).

So...Labour geezer, honest, man of the people. MARTIN SALTER FOR PM. YOU'LL FIND NO SCUM IN HIS MOAT !!

he wouldn't know what to do with all that power old Martin. he could though claim expenses for half a dozen new players to come and play for Reading FC and no one, i repeat, no one in our fair town would demand his resignation, infact if he could get away with doing that any reporter from the telegraph would be found swinging from one of the cctv camera lamposts down the 'Ocky (Oxford) Road'
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Strawberry Switchblade
May 29, 2009, 11:39
Now this is what i call an off-topic spinoff!

Eduardo wrote:
Also just spent a happy while over at strawberryswitchblade.net - curated by yourself Merrick?

Yeah, the whole thing. transcribing 4 hours of interview recorded in a clattery cafe with an interviewee that's got a Glaswegian accent, no easy task I tell you.

Eduardo wrote:
The mp3 demo for Trees & Flowers is gorgeous, as was the finished version if I recall.

The finished version's on there too.

And the instrumental from the B-side of the 12 inch.

And the Peel session version.

And a live version.

And two different cover versions.

And a link to a Youtube video of someone covering it.

Comprehensive is too small a word.
U-Know! Forum Index