police thugs

Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

police thugs
Apr 03, 2009, 20:34
the only thugs i saw were the police as usual , acting for the we've got power lets run with it blood thirsty knobhead politician wankers!!!
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: police thugs
Apr 06, 2009, 18:24
bladup wrote:
the only thugs i saw were the police as usual , acting for the we've got power lets run with it blood thirsty knobhead politician wankers!!!

next time you're being mugged, try calling an anarchist.

When you come round in hospital, you can ponder on your mistake.

Please, no hatred at me for this one!
I know what you are saying, but we really need the police. we really do
Gnostic Almighty
Gnostic Almighty
236 posts

Apr 06, 2009, 19:30
I recall 1984 in Silksworth, Sunderland watching a Black Maria pull up outside the small defensive picket-line who had suffered for the preceding five months with no pay, and many with families to feed.
The picketline were armed with bare knuckles and some harsh words for the men that disembarked from the rear of the Black Maria.
The average height must have been in the region of 6' 4", heavily armed men with truncheons, body armour, face protecting helmets. Some of them them had especially picked from surround forces for their sheer size and power.
One of the police (a seargent County Durham Police Force) instructed the others to clear the picket lines, and what followed was perhaps the worst 2/3 minutes of my life.
I was 22 at the time, and the seargent is my father, who decided to 'show me what power was all about'.
I'm still ashamed of what I witnessed.

... but yes, without them where would we be?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 06, 2009, 20:16
I've always had respect for the police. They've certainly helped me out a few times. I think people who tend to hate them maybe fear authority or the services or put them on a pedestal whereas they're only people doing a difficult job and a bloody hard one I can imagine too, especially in certain parts of manchester i know. Yeah they make mistakes at times like any other job.

8)
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Apr 06, 2009, 20:35
It's not a matter of mistakes (which are inevitable) or the occasional bad officer (ditto).

It's the overarching vision they have of needing to maintain authority at all times, no matter if it does more harm than good.

The police violence at the G20 was not about 'mistakes', it was deploying a tried and tested strategy.

Certainly, we have a need for people who track down rapists and burglars and whatnot. That does not in any way balance out the brutality and repression they mete out as standard.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Apr 06, 2009, 22:59
Yup, there is a tendency for some to compare what happnes 'here' with somewhere like Zimbabwe, which isn't only silly it's actually offensive.
Gah!
x
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Apr 07, 2009, 00:34
Apr 07, 2009, 00:28
"It's the overarching vision they have of needing to maintain authority at all times."

...that's why there are called the police. What the fuck do you expect??
They are there to keep law and order - whether it's protecting the RBS or helping you if someone steals your julian cope records.

8)
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Apr 07, 2009, 00:40
It should not be their job to use whatever level of violence it takes to enforce obedience.

It is should not be their job to bludgeon people for being part of a peaceful demonstration.

But as there is a requisite level of moral bankruptcy required to do the job, what other allegiance can they have except to their own authority, irrespective of whether they help or harm?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 07, 2009, 01:13
"But as there is a requisite level of moral bankruptcy required to do the job"

Where do you get your facts from? You're very wrong there.

I can tell you first hand through applying for a job in the criminal records department recently that the application involved filling in 13 pages of positive discrimination. Things have moved on since Eddie Shoestring.

8)
machineryelf
3679 posts

Apr 07, 2009, 07:00
Merrick wrote:

But as there is a requisite level of moral bankruptcy required to do the job, what other allegiance can they have except to their own authority, irrespective of whether they help or harm?

this seems a bit harsh, I suspect most of the police force joined as innocent youths expecting to do good for the general public.
I suspect your vision of the police is probably skewed by the fact that your involvement with them is generally in a situation that is in some way confrontational.
Personally having seen the police in action on a Sat night in Newcastle town centre whilst admitting they are not saints they certainly have the patience of Job
They are a lot more self regulating than you think, well at least Tyneside police are, I know that a good number of police that have left because of an unsuitable attitude

all that said, the video you posted of the police action at G20 was appalling, there were numerous completely pointless batterings of innocent bystanders and I would hope the police responsible would be identified and kicked out, there is no justification for actions like that.
Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index