G8 thugs

35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Re: G8 thugs
Apr 02, 2009, 10:54
I was down for the G20 protests, and although I didn't actually see the break-in from where I was, it did seem to me that police actions were deliberately aggravating the situation. Using 'bubbling' -cordoning off the demonstrations and not allowing anyone in or out of an area, and within that area people were dangerously crushed together and unable to move, which is sure to cause frustration and tempers to flare, is it not?

Under the circumstances it seems to me that an attempt to occupy the Bank of Scotland was a legitimate act of protest; very much in the spirit of Paris 68 which 40 years on was the subject of many fond media reminiscences.

It was also inevitable that the press were going to use any excuse to run their pre-written stories of 'violent anarchist mobs attack the city' etc. The only violence I saw was about a dozen coppers laying into a guy with truncheons swinging, in a circle around him while he was down on the ground- I don't know what he'd done, but it certainly seemed like unneccesarily and gratuitously aggressive. While a lot of individual police were good-humoured and respectful, some were obviously keyed up for violence. And behind the yellow-jacketed bobbies for the press pictures, the black-clad hardcore riot police were also out in force.

Yeah, scooting around town it was a very mixed atmosphere- from the very tense mood around Bank tube, to the old school CND rally at Trafalgar Square, to the very fluffy peaceful carnival atmosphere of the Climate Camp at Bishopgate. A bit disorganised, perhaps, but overall the protesters dun good.

Thanks for coming to the poetry night too, Popel- good to see you!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index